A question about my first new build in quite a while

TheScifiboy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
I am currently in the early-ish stages of planning my first complete system rebuild in about 4 years. I used to keep fairly on the ball when it came to hardware but my knowledge has slipped a bit, not so much as I'd call myself a complete noob but definitely not as good as it was.

My main problem with this build is the addition of a new OS. I am a happy Windows XP user but I'm going to be using this new PC for games and a hopefully quite a bit of video editing and I am building with an eye towards having a 64bit Vista OS running (probably Home premium but maybe Ultimate) and 8GB of RAM in the not to distant future.

What I was hoping was that someone might be able to point out any glaring clashes my potential build might have with running a Vista 64 OS.

CPU: Intel Quad Q6600 (potentially gonna OC this to 3.0)
M-Board: Asus P5Q-E
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400
HDD: 500 GB Western Digital WD5000AACS
GPU: 1GB XFX 9600GT
PSU: 800W Gigabyte ODIN Pro
Sound: X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series

I'm reusing my optical drives from my current PC as there's no real reason to replace them same for all input devices and my monitor and case.

All the above is available from Scan.co.uk for £784.91 with a copy of Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Any glaring errors with this build? I'm aware of the new CPU architecture that should be out from Intel later this year and if I have to push this build back a bit I'll consider that then but for now I'll stick to 775 socket, same goes for the new Nvidia cards but the reason there is solely price! Those things are WAY outta my price range!

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Are you going SLI or Crossfire? or only one GPU?
P5Q is Crossfire but 9600 is SLI.

800W is too big for only 1 GPU, you'll use 750W for 2 GPUs and PSUs from corsair, tagan, enermax, silverstone, and antec are much better.