Well i just got my parts today.

Q6600
9600GT
2GB Corsair 800MHZ
Gigabyte p35
320GB WD
Dabs gaming case / 600W Psu
Vista

And tried and failed putting it all together.
Basically it will not boot up when i hit the power button. It did flash on for 1 second when i changed the Power cable and then it went back off.
Im thinking its short circuiting? Ive gone through all the leads and made sure there in correctly.
I will try it in another psu tomorrow but any suggestions why it is not working?

Thanks.

nhanandmel

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Did you connect all the wires in? 4 pin to mb & 6 pin to video card? Also try clearing Cmos and try using 1 stick of ram when you boot

dazer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Just some cheap alternative. I have had one before a different style and it worked great. Didn't look too bad either.

Ive used the stand offs so it is not touching the back of the case. I just connected the 6Pin gpu and still did not work. ( Do both the psu power connectors on the gpu lead need to be connected? ) I will try tomorrow with a new Power supply / 1 stick of ram and see if that works.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
mmm well my best friend just got a board from newegg that after a few hours stopped posting. but there is probably a better chance that your psu is bad.

and yes all power cables need to be connected

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Two things that have worked for me in recent builds:

Flashing the CMOS (as another poster already suggested)
Taking one stick of RAM out, and rebooting (computer POSTed that time), then putting the second stick back in. Not sure why this would work, unless I didn't have the RAM sticks in correctly the first time.

Also, re-check all of your connectors - 20pin power, 4 pin ATX power, fan jumpers (if your CPU fan doesn't turn on, it can overheat in a hurry!), graphics power cables (read your graphics card's documentation), hard drive power and connectors.... basically the works

While it is possible that some of your hardware doesn't work, it's almost always some dumb thing you miss during setup.

dazer

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
Hmm well ive swapped the power supplys around and it worked with my old psu so i think thats where my problems are. Its only a 500W psu so im not gunna push it to hard.
But my new hard drive does not seem to want to work either psu's in both machines. Theres an 8 Pin connection on the back of it i dont no what for but i dont have a lead for it, I only have the sata leads connected to it. So i guess thats a power connection and i need to buy a lead ?