Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

E5200 + asus p5kpl amps - G31 overcloking issues

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 10, 2009 2:18:57 PM

Hi All,

I have been using the following setup for past two weeks

CPU - Pentium dual Core E5200 (Hope Great overcloker)
MB - ASUS G31 P5KPL AM/PS
RAM - 800MHZ CORSAIR PC6400 5-5-5-15
Heat sink - Cooler master - tower type (forgot the name)

For the past two weeks i have bee trying to over clock this processor. But im unable to go beyond 233Mhz FSB it is not posting. I even tried with least multiplier 6.0x with 240 FSB it is not POSTing. I tried everything from increasing cpu voltage, Ram Volatge , Reducing RAM speeds still unable to cross that barrier 233. Need help in this regard
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2009 9:04:20 AM

I think unfortunately your motherboard is limiting what you can do. At the very least, it doesn't have good customer impressions (search for your mobo on NewEgg and look through the reviews, and you'll see what I mean).

You can also try overclocking your RAM if you want to boost your performance.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2009 11:06:15 AM

I have an e5200 that is overclocked to 3.32 Ghz on an ECS G31 chipset motherboard. The Asus board is much better than mine since i thas voltage control.

In the BIOS Advanced Menu, Jumper Free Configuration, Set to manual, set the CPU frequency to 266.

Leave RAM speed and timings and all voltage settings on Auto.

In CPU Configuration, disable C1E and EIST.

Do this before trying to overclock the RAM. You don't need to overclock the RAM until your CPU overclcok is stable.
Related resources
June 11, 2009 5:24:02 PM

just came form work guys.... ill try those and update you ASAP
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 11, 2009 7:43:49 PM

Give us the temps on idle and load. If your HSF is not seated tightly, the overclock will fail due to heat.
June 11, 2009 10:10:39 PM

^+1. Also don't forget to stress test.
June 12, 2009 3:51:28 AM

My E5200 @ 3.0 with 1.225 vcore load @ 40-43 with my Q9550 stock HSF. ( same as the stock E5200 but with a copper base and its a .6 amp fan vs .2 amp for the E5200 stock HSF. )

I personnaly use a P5Q ... so i cant really hep you with your G31 OC. but 200-260 mhz fsb isnt something that hard one the chipset, so letting volts on AUTO can work. Im manual cause i want the lower possible on each part.
June 12, 2009 7:41:02 AM

Hi guys,

Temp are always well below 38c whether on load or idle, Because the cooler i have is best in class(cooler master V8). I dont think it is about cooling issues.

very stable upto 235Mhz (235*12.5 = 2.93Ghz). This is acheived with all voltage settings settings made to auto. RAM running at (approx 785Mhz)

Eventhough i relaxed RAM timings, RAM speed set to 667, Intel Speed Step disabled, and All voltage settings made to max

CPU - Default + 150mv(This is the maximum available setting)
RAM - 2.0000v
NB - 1.40V(This is the maximum available setting)

it is not posting at 236 Mhz. RAM is also not going to create problem here. B'cos 236*3.33 = 785.88Mhz,(6,6,6,15) which is not a problem for 800Mhz RAM. - (with default 800mhz settings i have acheived RAM oc up to 900mhz so this isnt a issue)

I seriously doubt that this board simply doesn't allow this processor to go beyond 235 Mhz.

I have another board with 945GC chipset will it be good overclocker than this G31? (GigaByte 945GC s2l).
Because i bought this processor for its overclocking ability and I made a big mistake by buying this crappy g31 board along with it.

Cheers
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2009 9:23:36 AM

That board isn't crappy IMO. It has native support for 1333 so I don't see why you can't get 106 on it. It can do it.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&t...

Do you have the lastest BIOS?


On my previous post about settings. Add one more, set the vcore to 1.3 or the next below. Leave RAM speed, timings, voltage on Auto. If it posts, start lowering the vcore until it becomes unstable again.
June 12, 2009 3:36:15 PM

I have attempted to overclock on the older version of this board (pk5pl-vm) for a friend. He has an E1200 and the best we could get it to was 2Ghz using PC6400 ram.

On that version there are no Ram voltage options (his ram will do 1Ghz at 2.3v).

We then resorted to pin modding his chip but the pc refused to boot at all in this state. Just to make sure I tried his chip in my pc (P5k-VM) and it booted at 2.1Ghz.

Just to see if it was his chip i pin modded my E2160 checked it in my pc booted at 2.4GHz. put the chip in his pc no boot!
September 20, 2009 3:45:50 PM

catchrex said:
Hi All,

I have been using the following setup for past two weeks

CPU - Pentium dual Core E5200 (Hope Great overcloker)
MB - ASUS G31 P5KPL AM/PS
RAM - 800MHZ CORSAIR PC6400 5-5-5-15
Heat sink - Cooler master - tower type (forgot the name)

For the past two weeks i have bee trying to over clock this processor. But im unable to go beyond 233Mhz FSB it is not posting. I even tried with least multiplier 6.0x with 240 FSB it is not POSTing. I tried everything from increasing cpu voltage, Ram Volatge , Reducing RAM speeds still unable to cross that barrier 233. Need help in this regard




I also need to know how can i overclock my p4
October 3, 2009 2:59:56 AM

I have almost the exact same setup as you, PWM:

CPU - Pentium dual Core E5200
MB - ASUS G31 P5KPL AM/PS
RAM - 800MHZ OCZ PC6400 6-6-6-18

And I have had no issue getting it to 3.01 with a stock Quad core cooler... Maybe it is your RAM. I have always had issues with Corsair and Overclocking.

My RAM is currently running at 960 right now too...
October 3, 2009 11:10:41 AM

Hi exodus d63.

But myne runs at 965mhz? with 6-6-6-18
October 10, 2009 1:53:49 PM

exodus d63 said:
I have almost the exact same setup as you, PWM:

CPU - Pentium dual Core E5200
MB - ASUS G31 P5KPL AM/PS
RAM - 800MHZ OCZ PC6400 6-6-6-18

And I have had no issue getting it to 3.01 with a stock Quad core cooler... Maybe it is your RAM. I have always had issues with Corsair and Overclocking.

My RAM is currently running at 960 right now too...

Let me get something straight.
So instead of running at rated 800 MHZ, your ram is running at 960 MHZ ?
Now if that is the case I guess you have set FSB : DRAM to Auto ?
Because if i am not wrong then E5200 has a multiplier of 12.5
So to get 3GHZ you need a FSB of 240 ( ie 3000/12.5 )
With a FSB of 240 your ram should be running at(ie that is as it is double data ram ) 440 MHZ if FSB : DRAM set to 1:1
So set the ratio to 1:1 and that will run you ram at 440 MHZ, and this seems a good stable settings.
Would like to know the thoughts over it.
Thank You.
October 10, 2009 2:21:25 PM

devrahul said:
Let me get something straight.
So instead of running at rated 800 MHZ, your ram is running at 960 MHZ ?
Now if that is the case I guess you have set FSB : DRAM to Auto ?
Because if i am not wrong then E5200 has a multiplier of 12.5
So to get 3GHZ you need a FSB of 240 ( ie 3000/12.5 )
With a FSB of 240 your ram should be running at(ie that is as it is double data ram ) 440 MHZ if FSB : DRAM set to 1:1
So set the ratio to 1:1 and that will run you ram at 440 MHZ, and this seems a good stable settings.
Would like to know the thoughts over it.
Thank You.


Thanks for u reply,

Can u gave me the manual settings for my p4 ht 3.0 ghz to hit 4ghz(settings like fsb ,voltages .etc)I am not a senior in oc!so please help me!
October 10, 2009 2:39:14 PM

Aneesh@4GHz said:
Thanks for u reply,

Can u gave me the manual settings for my p4 ht 3.0 ghz to hit 4ghz(settings like fsb ,voltages .etc)I am not a senior in oc!so please help me!

Read some articles about overclocking even if i give you specific figures it is highly unlikely to work.
Start From scratch with lots of reading.
Thanks
March 26, 2012 5:35:45 AM

Hello,
my motherboard is p5kmpl - am/ps G31....
1600 (o.c) fsb... 1+2gbddr2 ram... Please suggest me a nice graphics card. My buget is 6500rs... Wil hd6670 ddr3 work?
March 26, 2012 11:12:03 AM

Hello,
my motherboard is p5kmpl - am/ps G31....dual core processor
1600 (o.c) fsb... 1+2gbddr2 ram... Please suggest me a nice graphics card. My buget is 6500rs... Wil hd6670 ddr3 work?
!