Is Extreme processor worth it without water cooling?

Thatoneguy4

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
I am saving money to get one of the new Core i7's when they come out and was wondering if it would be worth getting the extreme edition if I wasn't going to have water cooling?

I have had water cooled systems in the past and I stopped using them since one sprang a leak and flushed about $2000 worth of hardware down the toilet.

That was a sad day. :(

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
It should be fine for air cooling, considering it has an unlocked multiplier, so no worries, unless you overclock to the extreme and require water cooling to have reasonable temps.

themyrmidon

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
You have your camp that swears by EE's, then you have people like me and itadakimasu who wouldn't pay $1000 for a processor even if it ran Crysis on very high with full AA.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I would never pay for an extreme either.

The current line of CPUs overclock just as good and as high as the Extreme CPUS.

Besides when you up the FSB on a locked multiplier you get a faster overall system then a extreme with a lower FSB.

helios2052

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I wouldn't bother with an Extreme Edition. Normal CPUs overclock just as well and you will have tons of money left over to upgrade GPUs, PSU, Etc...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at what's on the market now: Two processors with identical cores, made on the same production technology, most likely from the same portion of the same silicon wafer. One is labeled Q9650 and cost $550, the other is labeled QX9650 and cost $1050. The differences? The QX has it's mulitiplier unlucked upwards, and it cost $500 more.

You don't need unlocked multipliers to overclock, so makes an "Extreme" processor worth so much more money? Nada.