Seeking Much Needed Advice

stuck804

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Greetings,

I'm going over my options for a new computer build and need some advice as to the right motherboard for my purposes.

I've read up on several motherboards and the mobo that caught my attention was the ASUS RAMPAGE board. It has good sound, dual Ethernet ports (btw, does dual Ethernet ports really help your download rates? Stuff like bittorrent), a good chipset, and a great overclocker. The question I asked myself was, "Is it overkill?" - especially considering the price...

I looked around and found several other mobos like the ASUS P5Q Deluxe, the Gigabyte X48, and several others.

I plan to overclock and this will be my first time overclocking. With that in mind, I need a motherboard that makes overclocking easy, and user friendly (if there is such a thing when overclocking). Which board would you recommend for a me?

Additional Information:
My general build so far is the cut-and-paste Intel Quad, 4gb of 800DDR build, a 24" monitor, and the option to crossfire in the future. I'm still undecided if I should save a little longer to get the 4780x2, therefore only needing a single gcard slot, or get a single 4780/4850 now and get a second a month or two down the road.

Thank you for your time.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
GA-EX48-DS4 or EX38-DS4. You need to know that P45/X38/X48 have more bios options than P965/P35. They may contribute to overclocking failures. P35 would be my pick if I were in your boat. i.e. GA-EP35-DS3R. I have this in my family pc and I changed 2 things in bios to o/c the E1200 to 2.4Ghz. FSB & vdimm.