Problems connecting to second harddrive

php99

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Hi;
First of thankyou for reading my post!

I had ubuntu install on one hard drive and it could connect to hard drive 2 where i then dumped all my data / files. SO I CAN'T FORMAT THE DRIVE! I WANT THE DATA THAT IS ON IT!!!!

I now have installed windows over ubuntu (repartitioned the whole of hard drive 1) and now i am in windows and don't know how to open up the second hard drive.

I got told by a friend that i can go into Computer Management and look at my hard drives. I can see Disk0 (NTFS) which is what windows is installed on and
Disk1 information about it bellow;
<fixed>
16.98GB - 706MB
Healthy (Active) - Healthy (Unknown Partition)</fixed>

Please can someone help me able to view the partitions; the only thing (as far as i know) that is on the 2nd harddrive is my data that i copyed.

I would like to be able to view the hard drive by going letter:\ like i do with c:\

Thankyou all
Paul Hutchinson

Screen Shot
harddrives.bmp

I'm guessing that when you created the data volumes under Ubuntu they were created using a Linux file system such as ext2 or ext3. Windows doesn't understand those file systems and so that data in them is inaccessible.

To get the data back you'll have to reinstall Ubuntu and use it to copy the data from those partitions to another drive or partition that's formatted using a file system that Windows recognizes (such as FAT or NTFS).

Good point! You'd just have to be sure to get one that understands both the existing file system as well as FAT or NTFS (FAT support is pretty common, the ability to write to NTFS is a little less so).

php99

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
okay! thanks guys! i gave it to my friend who still runs ubuntu and hes copying to do DVD. About 7 i think :)

Thankyou all very much
Paul hutchinson

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In your screen shot of Disk Manager I notice that the second HDD unit has a 16.98 GB Partition that is Healthy and Active, but has NO letter name. So Windows cannot use it. RIGHT-click on that Partition and choose to Change its Name. Give it a letter not in use. Exit out and reboot, and it should show up in My Computer. Don't know whether all the files you are looking for are in that Partition, but at lest Windows should see it now.