Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No microstuttering on 4870x2, confirmed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 11, 2008 12:45:37 PM


Good news! I can confirm that based on my own tests microstuttering is gone on R700!

I've tested with R700 (ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2) and R680 (ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2) in Crysis (1600x1200 and High settings). I used Fraps and enabled Frametimes logging. I recorded 2 seconds from exactly the same point in game (loaded from save game). Based on my recorded data, with ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 frames are rendered after ~21,5 and every other frame after ~49,5 ms. With ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 all framres are rendered after ~ 21,9 ms. said:

Good news! I can confirm that based on my own tests microstuttering is gone on R700!

I've tested with R700 (ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2) and R680 (ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2) in Crysis (1600x1200 and High settings). I used Fraps and enabled Frametimes logging. I recorded 2 seconds from exactly the same point in game (loaded from save game). Based on my recorded data, with ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 frames are rendered after ~21,5 and every other frame after ~49,5 ms. With ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 all framres are rendered after ~ 21,9 ms.

-Sampsa Muropaketti

Source: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3132311&postcount=469
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2008 1:11:59 PM

So far so good. Only 1 game tho, but Im hoping its the norm
July 11, 2008 3:56:40 PM

Don't forget that it's the most demanding one. Or unoptimized one, as many people claim. Either way, it suits as a very good example.
I'll update the thread with more results as soon as Sampsa reveals more benchmarks.
PS: It's Sampsa Kurri, and Muropaketti is his company, you should blame techpowerup for the false name.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 11, 2008 4:00:52 PM

So how did he test an unreleased card? :S
July 11, 2008 4:11:33 PM

By using a crystal ball? ;-)

Or he has test versions, but that is much less believable...
July 11, 2008 4:13:31 PM

thats what i'm thinking:) 
July 11, 2008 4:13:37 PM

Have to agree with L1qu1d on this one... I do believe that ATI has address the issue, however I can post the same thing on another forum, no screens, no data to back it up makes it hard to believe he has the card. I have yet to even hear of review samples being sent out.
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2008 4:21:04 PM

Ummmm, why would he lie? To discredit himself AND his company? So, you havnt seen his pics? or been to his site? Im of the impression he does have the card, as do a few others, and theyve so far compared notes using different drivers.
July 11, 2008 4:28:15 PM

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. :) 

also , Nehalem is unreleased and Tom's did a sneak peak on that...that's isn't supposed to be released till end of this year...this card is a few weeks away. Maybe it's just a big conspiracy to lie to all of us?
July 11, 2008 4:28:45 PM

Some people do it just for fun :-) To tease some recless peoples...
But yeah it's not impossible to have an engineering sample, because AMD have them at this moment, how easy it would be to get one is guite another matter.
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2008 4:38:54 PM

Well, Ive heard therell be previews on the 15th so IM hoping SOMEONE has them heheh
July 11, 2008 4:43:39 PM

I agree with L1qu1d, how did he get the card on his own... but the missing clue to this is he didn't state the frames rendered on this card if it was, 21.9ms, that would be 63 frames . I did the math.
July 11, 2008 4:45:00 PM

He might be cheating a little by calling "4870 CF" a "4870 X2."
July 11, 2008 5:05:05 PM

Emperor36 said:
I agree with L1qu1d, how did he get the card on his own... but the missing clue to this is he didn't state the frames rendered on this card if it was, 21.9ms, that would be 63 frames . I did the math.

Well he is a very famous overclocker, and has been provided these, as many people have been provided the 4850 and reviewed it before it hit the shelves. Is this all that weird?

http://plaza.fi/muropaketti/toimituksen-blogi/geforce-gtx-280n-tappaja-saapui
To be honest, even if the guy hadn't posted a screenshot, his reputation alone would discard the possibility that he might have been not telling the truth.

1000ms ---> 1fps
21.9ms ---> x
x = 1000/21.9 => x = 45.66

(I doubt this is dx10 all very high ofc, that's not our point though)
Nonetheless, we need more games tested.
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2008 5:18:30 PM

I smell fanboy. Look, doubt all you want, you have 1 week before its here to see. Toms overseas already has info on the card. If micostutter is solved, nVidia just takes another hit, especially when the X2 will be 50% faster than the 280 and only 50$ more.
July 11, 2008 7:24:49 PM

I have no doubt it will be here soon, by the end of the month by most reports. That said I do hope all the rumors and "confirmed" info as above is correct, that this card is a beast. But after the 2900xt hype I try to take every thing said with a grain of salt until some detailed info comes out. All news is good news till it turns out to be false, so no fanboyism here for either side.

Currently I have five pc's in the house three Nvidia's cards and 2 Ati's, I just get what works at the time. That said I just got the HD4870 and I am in love with it, I do hope the 4870x2 is twice the card it meant to be and then some, competition is great in my opinion.

I don't know if it will be 50% faster than the GTX 280, but I have serious doubts that the GTX 280 will be within 25% either.
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2008 8:05:27 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
So far so good. Only 1 game tho, but Im hoping its the norm


The major issue I have with this though is what is the settings he's testing on? If they're the same, that the more powerful card doesn't experience micro-stuttering at those setting and the weaker one does is not a suprise, if you lower the settings on the HD3870X2 is lowers the stutter effects as well.

Also based on that it's saying it's taking the HD4870 X2 is taking longer to render the frame with both at 21.9ms while the HD3870X2 does one frame in 21.5ms while the other frame is slower.

One would think the HD4K should have a lower render time at the same settings, which seems to go un-noticed since people are focusing on the stutter alone.

Could be immature drivers, but it's a weird test , result and then conclusion, and far from conclusive or confirmed as the title of the thread would suggest.

IMO, it's the first step in testing the hypothesis that there will be no micro-stuttering, however I'd say showing that the HD3K experiences is at a setting and the HD4K doesn't isn't as good as running the HD4K at a significantly higher setting and seeing what happens.

It's promising and hopefully, just not as solid proof as people seem to think.
July 11, 2008 9:33:02 PM

one-shot said:
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. :) 



the disclosure project
July 11, 2008 11:20:36 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
The major issue I have with this though is what is the settings he's testing on? If they're the same, that the more powerful card doesn't experience micro-stuttering at those setting and the weaker one does is not a suprise, if you lower the settings on the HD3870X2 is lowers the stutter effects as well.

Also based on that it's saying it's taking the HD4870 X2 is taking longer to render the frame with both at 21.9ms while the HD3870X2 does one frame in 21.5ms while the other frame is slower.

One would think the HD4K should have a lower render time at the same settings, which seems to go un-noticed since people are focusing on the stutter alone.

Could be immature drivers, but it's a weird test , result and then conclusion, and far from conclusive or confirmed as the title of the thread would suggest.

IMO, it's the first step in testing the hypothesis that there will be no micro-stuttering, however I'd say showing that the HD3K experiences is at a setting and the HD4K doesn't isn't as good as running the HD4K at a significantly higher setting and seeing what happens.

It's promising and hopefully, just not as solid proof as people seem to think.



Exactly, and well said.

Do the same test at Very High 1920*1200 with at least 4xAA enabled. Something that will actually pressure the GPU, that will tell you for sure.

Doing a test with "1600x1200 and High settings" on a high end gpu like that is a fluff test and it isn't going to show you a true result.

Anyways, just my 2 cents tacked on your coat-tails.
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2008 11:33:41 AM

Yea, Ive heard that you get into the 30 fps range is when you really start seeing MS. Theres more coming this weekend, and maybe we will know by then, or at least, a little more
!