HD 4850 vs X-Fi extreme gamer

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
You're attempting to compare a graphics card to a sound card... you've also failed to include any other computer information, or the purpose of the card...

the 4850 is a great graphics card...

the x-fi is a decent sound card...

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

Epic Fail.

Those two cards have two completely different functions. HD4850 is a graphics card, X-Fi Extreme Gamer is a sound card.

lasttarget

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Dont you guys know that the 4850 has HDMI with sound. Also the 4850 have an onboard audio chip.

No i havent tried it daye159. I think in the near future it will be better than the x-fi tho.

Really good question... seems like some ppl have no clue what the new cards are capable of

kgrach

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
@all

The 4850 has built in audio so its a valid question.
The gist of the question Is the built in audio of the 4850 any good and does it have a positive or negative impact to gaming compared to the x-fi gamer.

kgrach

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
You guys aren't really up to date are you? Cards have had onboard sound through hdmi for a little while now! I'd say the x-fi is probably a little better, but that's just a random guess.

gunbunnysoulja

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
The advantage the 4850 has is the ability to output MPCM (multi-channel linear pulse code modulation), from the advanced audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS HD MA, etc) If your at all into HTPC, blu-ray, etc., this may or may not benefit you.

The down-side is it doesn't support PAP (Protected Audio Path), meaning 24/96 gets downconverted to 16/48.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
i to have this card, however i doubt that it has any where near the sound quality of a dedicated sound card. althoug it does support alot of standards; which is always good.

anywo, if your after best sound quality (with in reason) i think a dedicated card is the way to go, i would get a Asus Zonar, as they also support alot of standards.

im not sure if there is a way to rope the audio connection into the HDMI cable, (IE HDMI to HDMI with SPDIF (coaxial) split off) althogu if there is that would be the way to go.

G

I see no reason why the 4850 "sound card" should be any lesser in quality compared to any other sound card. Does anyone know which sound codec the card is using? I know it's a Realtek, but which??
Maybe look in device manager or on the gfx card itself? Shoud be a Realtek chip somewhere.
In my opinion the 48xx is just brilliant! How else can you get Dolby trueHD out of a PC? (analog doesn't count!)

TRENDING THREADS