Sign in with
Your question

New E8400 - Somthing isnt right....

Last response: in CPUs
August 12, 2008 3:52:54 AM

Hello,

I was just setting up my new computer, installed vista and was install the rest of my programs/games when all a sudden the computer just shut off.

After checking cables/power I rebooted and entered the dos setup, it told me my processor is 95 / 203F with a fan speed of 27XX... Of course that is WAY to hot.

I double checked the CPU fan/heat sink even put some new thermal compound on the processor.

I just set up my buddy's computer (all the same parts) and his is just fine, so It isn't a cable or something wrong I made sure both were the same.

The thing that catches me off guard is, should the CPU fan start spinning faster than that? It seems very low/quite esp when the CPU is overheating..

What can/should do, is the processor just DOA or what??

Thanks in advanced for any help

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

More about : e8400 somthing isnt

August 12, 2008 4:09:02 AM

Ask your buddy for a solid and see if he'll lend you his CPU to make sure that it's not a motherboard error first.

Also, does the heatsink actually feel really, really hot to the touch?

If your buddy is skittish about you borrowing his CPU, then see about installing yours onto his motherboard (no chance of damage to his stuff that way).

August 12, 2008 4:14:34 AM

My E8400's fan does not kick in until 1 minute after bootup. It will just whirl slowly and halt every 2 seconds. After that, it runs at full speed forever. This is normal behavior. If your fan doesn't spin fast enough, then your fan is busted. It should be 30 celcius idling.

I also had my computer shut down when I was first building my computer. The problem was not pushing in the 4 pins far enough into the mobo. You may think they are tight enough, but if you don't hear the snap, then it isn't and it will go to 90 C easily.
Related resources
August 12, 2008 4:14:51 AM

Im using Stock head sink, due to the " ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7" that I ordered had some shipping error and will not be here for a few more days.

I messed with the stupid stock heat sink and am 90% sure it is correct. Like I said in my org post a friend and I bought ideal setups and I installed his. (his is idle/max load temp fine) HOWEVER, his arctic fan made it on time and I installed that. It does use the same lil pin system tho

No in less then one min (time it took to unhook and unscrew case) the heat sink and processor were "touchable"
August 12, 2008 4:18:03 AM

It has nothing to do with the stock fan/sink not being good enough. I have the stock stuff with a crappy case and I idle at 30 C.
August 12, 2008 4:18:19 AM

The heatsink is not seated correctly. Remove the mobo and check the pins on the back, you have a problem. I would not boot it again until you resolve the problem or you risk CPU damage.
August 12, 2008 4:28:04 AM

I went ahead and risked it, booted into windows and quickly installed ASUS's PC Probe software 2

At first it said it was a decent 47 then quickly (with no use, just watching) it was up to 70 until I just shut it back down...

Does that help / change anything?

Lets say probe/bios is right and at one point my processor did hit 90C, is there damage done?
August 12, 2008 4:37:33 AM

probably not, since you shut it down quickly, reseat the heatsink.
August 12, 2008 4:40:47 AM

Like Zorg said, your heatsink is not seated properly.
August 12, 2008 4:42:23 AM

Pull your mobo out and reinstall the heatsink out of the case, making sure to clean and reapply thermal paste. If you dont clean and reapply dont waste anyones time in here any further.

When you push the pins in, out of the case go in a X formation. A square fromation will cause trouble.
August 12, 2008 4:59:04 AM

I have an e8400 with a swiftech apex water cooling kit and it idles at 38 and loads at 55.
August 12, 2008 4:59:11 AM

Per Core Temp 0.96.1, the E8400 has a Tj Max temp of 105°c, it should shut down automatically when it reaches that temperature. I have a E8400 and it runs 48°c. Reseat your heatsink.
August 12, 2008 5:43:08 AM

Has everyone forgotten so quickly the temp reader problems of the E8xxx?
August 12, 2008 5:52:47 AM

Theres nothing wrong with pushpins. You got to be smarter then the heatsink. Most pushpin issues occur from the user installing with the mobo in the case. Pushpins require quite a bit of force and in th ecase the mobo will flex and bottom out on the mobo tray.

If you install out of the case pushpins work flawless everytime. You also have to use a X pattern for it to work correctly.

The same thing happens when a noob changes a car tire and tightens it in a circle patter instead of a star. When you go in a circle the wheel will fall off.
August 12, 2008 7:27:33 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
The same thing happens when a noob changes a car tire and tightens it in a circle patter instead of a star. When you go in a circle the wheel will fall off.
I agree that you should cross tighten lug nuts, but the wheel won't fall off if you don't.
August 12, 2008 7:28:59 AM

themyrmidon said:
Has everyone forgotten so quickly the temp reader problems of the E8xxx?
This is not a problem with the DTSs and you are doing the OP a disservice by suggesting that it is.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2008 5:43:41 PM

Zorg said:
The heatsink is not seated correctly. Remove the mobo and check the pins on the back, you have a problem. I would not boot it again until you resolve the problem or you risk CPU damage.

+1

Also download RealTemp for monitoring temps. CoreTemp,etc are known to be inaccurate.
!