Sign in with
Your question

looking for guidance on a new machine for video editing

Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2008 10:56:44 PM

Hi :hello:  I am new here.

I built this system in 2003. I still use it every day :sol:  and for most things it is great. I play no games on this machine and have no graphics card. :sol: 

This is the machine:

a P4 2.4Ghz.
Gigabyte board (which was never approved for this CPU, I found that out last year)
1.5 Gig RAM
It is a mid size case it looks ok but it is loud with one fan for the case and one in the PSU
1 CD drive
2 DVD drives
a floppy (this is old timers stuff but how else can I back up my system?)
a 80Gig HD inside
My PSU is 300W.

In the last few months I have been starting to do some work with Photoshop and a little video editing. It still works for that but I can tell that it is bogging down and it is starting to bug me that it hangs or takes a minute to do something.I am about ready to upgrade.

Experiance tells me to ask people who know the latest hardware. So here I am hoping for some help and current up to date guidence.

I want to spend less than $800 (around $600 woud be desired) and I want it to be as powerfull as possible for using tools like Photoshop and the Adobe CS3 suite. CAD too

If I build my own system again, can I use everything in my case and just replace the MOB and CPU? Will I need a new PSU Why does anyone need 500W or even more? This thing is not a hair dryer :p  and what makes a PSU "quality"? More watts is not better especially when it costs more and I never use nor need it.

Should I go with a Q6600 for around $210 or is a Duo Core still something great, and how should I rate a good MOB? Some are $70 and others are $150. What is the difference? Would I notice a difference if I used the cheaper Duo Core? What about AMD?

Q6600 $210
MOB $100
4GRAM $85

What else do I need? Do I need a graphics card[/i]? How much should that cost? There are so many variations and I can not find one place that compares and tells me what goes with what the best.

I would like some advice from experianced folks who are at the latest understanding of
  • what is on the market
  • what goes best with what
  • where it can be had at the best price.

Thanks folks.

BTW What was totally the best rig 1 year ago?
    June 23, 2008 11:46:29 PM

You will require a new PSU because the standard have changed, current motherboards use a 24 pin motherboard connector from the PSU, plus either an 8 or 4 pin CPU power connector, depends on the board.
    Graphics - again it depends on the board, some integrated graphics are better than others, probably the best right now are based on the AMD 780 chipset, however that is for the AMD cpu and not Intel. Motherboard recommendations also depend on the CPU you want to run, for your purposes if you intend to go more heavily into video editting then you should be looking at a quad core. The Q6600 is a good choice in terms of value for your money, I would suggest getting something like the Antec Sonata Plus 550 case, its quiet, has good cooling potential, and comes with a good quality 550W modular power supply. As far as motherboards go, there are a number of good economical P35 chipset boards, one I recommend is the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R rev 2.1, good stable board with excellent performance and plenty of features at a very reasonable price. 4GB of DDR2 800 will work quite nicely for your current requirements. This board however does not have integrated graphics, but for video editing etc the graphics power requirements are low, and any lower end ATI PCI-E card will fit the bill.
    Power Supply quality is determined by a number of things, including component quality, build quality (solder joints, etc), design, cooling, etc. In power supplies you get what you pay for usually, and it is worth the extra dollars for a good quality ps, if your ps is poor quality then your computer will be poor quality. Its like trying to drive a Porche on cheap bald tires, it may work a bit for a little while, but not well and not for long.
    June 24, 2008 7:38:19 AM

rgsaunders said:
    You will require a new PSU because the standards have changed, current motherboards use a 24 pin motherboard connector from the PSU, plus either an 8 or 4 pin CPU power connector, depends on the board.

Power Supply quality is determined by a number of things, including component quality, build quality (solder joints, etc), design, cooling, etc. In power supplies you get what you pay for usually, and it is worth the extra dollars for a good quality ps, if your ps is poor quality then your computer will be poor quality. Its like trying to drive a Porche on cheap bald tires, it may work a bit for a little while, but not well and not for long.

New standards are a great argument to change. Thanks for that tip. Where are PSUs compared. How do I know that I have a quality PSU in my shopping cart?

RG, you suggest this then:

$150 Antec Sonata Plus 550 case comes with a good quality 550W modular power supply
    $90 Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R rev 2.1
    $85 4GB of DDR2 800
    $60 any lower end ATI PCI-E card
    $210 Q6600

Total
    $595

That sounds real good. Is there one ram that is better than another? Brand, type?

Does new egg have great prices? I am pulling my prices off their site because I see newegg quoted in this forum.

Thanks rg for your tips and insight. :D 
    Related resources
    June 24, 2008 8:07:23 AM

I run XP pro now. Are there advantages to going Vista and what would I have to consider in the build?

What about the OS, what are the pros and cons on 32 vs 64 bit OS's?
    June 26, 2008 2:30:08 PM

It is not priced low. That is a competitive price.
    !