Using center speaker mode with TV off

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 17, 2005 10:49:44 PM

I have a Sony 32" LCD TV and a DVD Dream System. I want to use the TV
speaker as the system's center speaker, but I really don't want to have
to turn the TV on every time I want to listen to a CD. So is there any
conceivable way to use the TV speakers without the TV actually being
on?

Thanks for any help

More about : center speaker mode

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 11:10:44 PM

Could you possibly expand on that a little?
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:04:23 AM

On 17 Sep 2005 18:49:44 -0700, csw621@earthlink.net wrote:

>I have a Sony 32" LCD TV and a DVD Dream System. I want to use the TV
>speaker as the system's center speaker, but I really don't want to have
>to turn the TV on every time I want to listen to a CD. So is there any
>conceivable way to use the TV speakers without the TV actually being
>on?

No.

Kal
September 18, 2005 2:25:35 AM

On 17 Sep 2005 19:10:44 -0700, csw621@earthlink.net wrote:

>Could you possibly expand on that a little?

1. You can't run the speakers without powering them with amplifiers.
2. Most TVs offer only line-level inputs to the amps that power their
speakers.
3. Ergo, you cannot run the speakers without turning on the TV's amps.

If, by some chance, there's a direct connection available to the
speakers, you can power them with an external amplifier. How are they
connected now?

Kal
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 7:53:32 AM

csw621@earthlink.net wrote in news:1127008184.437602.168250
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I have a Sony 32" LCD TV and a DVD Dream System. I want to use the TV
> speaker as the system's center speaker, but I really don't want to have
> to turn the TV on every time I want to listen to a CD. So is there any
> conceivable way to use the TV speakers without the TV actually being
> on?

I purloined two 4 ohm speakers from a somewhat cheap blaster that had
external speakers. Connected in series and run from an 8 ohm output on
my amp, they work just fine. That would probably also work on the 6 ohm
outputs common on most DVD systems. An audio purist would probably
blanch at my setup, but the speakers are actually half decent (the
blaster was actually a Hitachi and they did a fair job on the speakers--
little bass reflex jobbies with a tolerable low end for small boxes,
though not as good as the little Radio Shack bookshelf jobbies that I'm
using for rears. The real strength in my system is the two big Paradigms
in the front that also do the heavy bass (no sub). That and the fact
that I've very carefully phased it and calibrated the levels so that
everything is phased the way it's supposed to be and the speakers are
about the right levels.

You should be able to get a half decent pair of old 4-ohm or a decent 8-
ohm for a center speaker at just about any flea market. Just make sure
you get a guarantee against DOA.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

I have the 2 towers, & 2 surrounds, and a subwoofer connected to the
reciever, and a speaker wire going from the center channel terminal on
the reciever to the center channel terminal on the TV.

http://comp3769.tripod.com/theatconn.jpg
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:45:54 PM

You mean the terminals on the TV or the receiver?
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:27:02 PM

Have you listened to a CD on your Dream System yet? Wasn't the TV off
when you did? Had you been listening to the music from the center
speaker that came with the system(before you got the TV, I mean)? Do
you see what I'm getting at?
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 3:18:57 PM

On 18 Sep 2005 08:00:38 -0700, csw621@earthlink.net wrote:

>I have the 2 towers, & 2 surrounds, and a subwoofer connected to the
>reciever, and a speaker wire going from the center channel terminal on
>the reciever to the center channel terminal on the TV.
>
>http://comp3769.tripod.com/theatconn.jpg

It's not clear from the picture whether those terminals are speaker-in
or speaker-out. If the former, it should work with the TV off. If
the latter, I wonder if there's any way to get it to work without
going through the TV's amp using the RCA terminals and powering the
TV.

Kal
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 3:56:28 PM

Uhhh... okay, lets see.
Guest: Are you sure the single center speaker is better than the TV's
stereo speaker(s)?
nselson: Yes. I have listened to CDs with the TV as the center speaker,
the center speaker as the center speaker (TV off), and without a center
speaker at all. I bought the system with the TV. No I don't.
Kalman: The TV (or maybe the HD box) is sending an audio out signal to
the reciever. The reciever is sending a SEPARATE center channel signal
(back) to the TV. I have heard that TV speakers aren't very good, but
I've also read that the KLV-32M1's speakers sound really good,
especially for those built into an LCD monitor. The HTIB did come with
a center speaker, but I find that the TV's speakers sound a little
better. I guess it seems like the sound is being condensed into a
smaller speaker than it needs to be.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:00:32 PM

Uhhh... okay, lets see.
Guest: Are you sure the single center speaker is better than the TV's
stereo speaker(s)?
nselson: Yes. I have listened to CDs with the TV as the center speaker,
the center speaker as the center speaker (TV off), and without a
center speaker at all. I bought the system with the TV. No I don't.
Kalman: The TV (or maybe the HD box) is sending an audio out signal to
the receiver. The receiver is sending a SEPARATE center channel signal
(back) to the TV. I have heard that TV speakers aren't very good, but
I've also read that the KLV-32M1's speakers sound really good,
especially for those built into an LCD monitor. The HTIB did come with
a center speaker, but I find that the TV's speakers sound a little
better. I guess it seems like the sound is being condensed into a
smaller speaker than it needs to be.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 4:03:57 PM

[...]
September 18, 2005 6:19:00 PM

On 18 Sep 2005 08:45:54 -0700, csw621@earthlink.net wrote:

>You mean the terminals on the TV or the receiver?

On the TV. The ones on the receiver are outs.
BTW, you should heed the remarks of others who point out the
inadequacy of TV speakers. They are unacceptable for anything
except, perhaps, news and weather reports. Adding a real center
speaker, perhaps already included in your HTIB, would eliminate the
need to use the TV speakers.

Kal
September 18, 2005 9:21:20 PM

Well, given that most information comes from the center channel speaker, you
would want that speaker to be your highest quality, spare no expense
speaker. Although my HDTV is high quality and has that option(JVC, the
preferred brand for TV's), separate speakers are always better. My TV
speakers sound very good for TV sound or mono DVD's, but for surround or
anything of a high quality nature, the stereo speakers must be used.

--
www.unclet.netfirms.com
<csw621@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> You mean the terminals on the TV or the receiver?

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:10:27 AM

csw...@earthlink.net wrote:
> nselson: Yes. I have listened to CDs with the TV as the center speaker,
> the center speaker as the center speaker (TV off), and without a center
> speaker at all. I bought the system with the TV. No I don't.

csw..., How can you enjoy listening to Sony's alternative 'music
modes'; but not want to use all of the little cube speakers that they
designed to be so easy to place? You're breaking their cold, corporate
hearts.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:30:12 AM

csw621@earthlink.net wrote in news:1127055638.327416.53140
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I have the 2 towers, & 2 surrounds, and a subwoofer connected to the
> reciever, and a speaker wire going from the center channel terminal on
> the reciever to the center channel terminal on the TV.

> http://comp3769.tripod.com/theatconn.jpg

My first reaction to that is that it's not safe. You are connecting output
to output and if you accidentally drive whichever is bigger too hard you'll
blow the other one.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

csw621@earthlink.net wrote in news:1127058354.554460.37710
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> You mean the terminals on the TV or the receiver?

From your picture they both look like outputs to me.

Which means the TV's external speaker outlet is in parallel with the
internal speaker. Which means you're driving not just the speaker but
firing power back into the amplifier that drives it. This is not a safe
configuration (unless you know a whole lot more about the equipment than
you do).

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

"Guest" <n0gar@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Well, given that most information comes from the center channel
> speaker, you would want that speaker to be your highest quality, spare
> no expense speaker. Although my HDTV is high quality and has that
> option(JVC, the preferred brand for TV's), separate speakers are
> always better. My TV speakers sound very good for TV sound or mono
> DVD's, but for surround or anything of a high quality nature, the
> stereo speakers must be used.

My stereo gives me the choice of closing off the center speaker and
distributing the energy equally to the big Paradigms. Which is what I tend
to do for something that needs it, which is to say concerts and other
musical material. The Hitachi's work well for speech, though. They're
clean enough and I don't need that much bass from them as the energy for
the sub is already distributed to the Paradigms. I'd buy a sub before I'd
invest in an expensive center. And I don't really feel the need for that.

Sure, win the lottery and it's new Paradigms all around. They make
wonderful subs, rears and centers designed precisely for the purpose and
VERY accurate.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

Dave Oldridge <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote in

> csw621@earthlink.net wrote in news:1127058354.554460.37710
> @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> You mean the terminals on the TV or the receiver?
>
> From your picture they both look like outputs to me.

OK, I blew up the picture. The TV IS an input. That's a configuration
I've never seen before, but if it's switched by the TV's on-off switch, I
doubt there is any way to override that without doing serious surgery on
the TV.

And be careful not to run more than 180 watts at it.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667