Sign in with
Your question

Thermal Paste on the BOTTOM of my CPU!!!

Last response: in CPUs
August 12, 2008 4:48:49 AM

I bought this computer from some random guy and it worked fine for about a week before I started getting problems, until the thing wouldn't POST.

I tried all sorts of solutions but non-worked. I finally opened up my CPU to see that there is some sort of gunk (same color as thermal paste) on the BOTTOM of my cpu (LG775).

As a last resort, is it possible for me to try to scrap off the gunk delicately w/o damaging the CPU?
If so, what can I use?

I need help!! I don't want to buy a new CPU...
August 12, 2008 4:53:44 AM

lol what a dumbass who the hell would even think about doing that. you should punch him right in the face
id use rubbing alcohol w/ a coffee filter and be very careful
Related resources
August 12, 2008 5:02:12 AM

Dont take it off unless you have replacement gunk. Its so the CPU doesnt overheat
August 12, 2008 5:09:21 AM

lasttarget, you sure about that? It's in the bottom of his processor, not on top.

You can remove it, just do it in a simple manner, light but thorough, like shining something shiny. :D 
August 12, 2008 5:32:07 AM

You should also clean the fingers on the socket itself, very very very delicately.

Get a magnifying glass and look at the socket closely. Note the direction of the fingers and only rub them in the direction that they are going or they will deform and you will have big problems.
August 12, 2008 5:47:22 AM

+1 for Zorg, make sure to go very gently on the socket pins.
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2008 5:51:41 AM

I don't know what your time is worth but i'd get a cheapo mobo to replace the old one.
August 12, 2008 5:57:56 AM

i was thinking about using a tooth pick to gently take it off...
and it wasnt me... i found it like that.. freaking gay
August 12, 2008 6:38:47 AM

Gently take it off of what, the socket? I would use the toothpick to gently pick out any clumps between the fingers and then a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol to gently rub the fingers as per above. Don't bend the fingers.
August 12, 2008 7:24:36 AM

So each pin has a circular motion?
August 12, 2008 8:43:34 AM

choiboi4life85 said:
So each pin has a circular motion?
What are you talking about? each finger is slanted one direction that is the same as all of the others.

GET A MAGNIFYING GLASS AND LOOK AT THEM CLOSELY OR YOU WILL BE SORRY.
August 12, 2008 11:01:33 AM

Is the gunk only on the CPU like in the middle where the caps are? Or is it on the board and the pins (or arms/fingers) in the socket as well? Either way, just be careful not to bend anything or break anything off. Gentle and rubbing alcohol is the only thing you need to know.
August 12, 2008 6:55:08 PM

Man I feel sorry for you TP, that's one hell of a project, especially if you aren't a very delicate and precise person, like myself.
August 12, 2008 7:37:56 PM

did he just put too much on the top and it ran over the sides?

the others are right though, rubbing alcohol is the only way to go... i'm curious if the mobo is fried
February 3, 2009 1:49:29 PM

Ok, I have a similar situation. I have a little bit of thermal paste that kinda drapped across the bottom of the CPU (its a line a little bit thicker than a couple of hairs that are on the very tips of the cpu pins). So, I have a CPU, q-tip(s), rubbing alcohol and coffee filter(s). I wet the q-tip with rubbing alcohol and apply the q-tip (gently) to the areas on the CPU that has thermal paste on it. I don't understand what role the coffee filter plays.

Thanks
February 3, 2009 1:55:30 PM

Its thinner than a q-tip
February 3, 2009 2:21:30 PM

Ok, so the q-tip and coffee filter are substitues where the coffee filter has an advantage in being thinner. Thanks. I bought 95% ethanol rubbing alcholol compound.
February 3, 2009 2:45:58 PM

There seems to be thermal paste just isn't coming off or easily at all. Q-tip is big to fit between the pins and the coffee filter isn't applying enough pressure to remove the thermal paste.

I'm not sure how long this should take but can I just submerge the pins on the CPU in rubbing alcohol for a period of time and then have the thermal paste fall off.
February 3, 2009 5:58:34 PM

Perhaps a picture would help us help you? I generally dislike submerging my CPU's in anything.

I know some thermal pastes are non-conductive so I would wonder if this is the problem at all. Obviously there is no need for thermal paste to be on the underside but if the computer worked at one time that "goo" was probably not the reason for the POST problem. Since it doesn't move around the pins it is unlikely that the just shifted at some time and shorted things out resulting in your POST problem.

Who knows, perhaps it is some goo meant to keep the contacts from corroding (not that they would) while still allowing contact between them and the socket.

I guess what I'm saying is that clean it off as best you can but I would think about other options that could be causing the problem because I don't think this goo is it.
!