Thermal Paste on the BOTTOM of my CPU!!!

choiboi4life85

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I bought this computer from some random guy and it worked fine for about a week before I started getting problems, until the thing wouldn't POST.

I tried all sorts of solutions but non-worked. I finally opened up my CPU to see that there is some sort of gunk (same color as thermal paste) on the BOTTOM of my cpu (LG775).

As a last resort, is it possible for me to try to scrap off the gunk delicately w/o damaging the CPU?
If so, what can I use?

I need help!! I don't want to buy a new CPU...

jjokubauskas

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
lol what a dumbass who the hell would even think about doing that. you should punch him right in the face
id use rubbing alcohol w/ a coffee filter and be very careful

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
lasttarget, you sure about that? It's in the bottom of his processor, not on top.

You can remove it, just do it in a simple manner, light but thorough, like shining something shiny. :D

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You should also clean the fingers on the socket itself, very very very delicately.

Get a magnifying glass and look at the socket closely. Note the direction of the fingers and only rub them in the direction that they are going or they will deform and you will have big problems.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Gently take it off of what, the socket? I would use the toothpick to gently pick out any clumps between the fingers and then a coffee filter and rubbing alcohol to gently rub the fingers as per above. Don't bend the fingers.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
What are you talking about? each finger is slanted one direction that is the same as all of the others.

GET A MAGNIFYING GLASS AND LOOK AT THEM CLOSELY OR YOU WILL BE SORRY.

szwaba67

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Is the gunk only on the CPU like in the middle where the caps are? Or is it on the board and the pins (or arms/fingers) in the socket as well? Either way, just be careful not to bend anything or break anything off. Gentle and rubbing alcohol is the only thing you need to know.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
did he just put too much on the top and it ran over the sides?

the others are right though, rubbing alcohol is the only way to go... i'm curious if the mobo is fried

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Ok, I have a similar situation. I have a little bit of thermal paste that kinda drapped across the bottom of the CPU (its a line a little bit thicker than a couple of hairs that are on the very tips of the cpu pins). So, I have a CPU, q-tip(s), rubbing alcohol and coffee filter(s). I wet the q-tip with rubbing alcohol and apply the q-tip (gently) to the areas on the CPU that has thermal paste on it. I don't understand what role the coffee filter plays.

Thanks

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Ok, so the q-tip and coffee filter are substitues where the coffee filter has an advantage in being thinner. Thanks. I bought 95% ethanol rubbing alcholol compound.

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
There seems to be thermal paste just isn't coming off or easily at all. Q-tip is big to fit between the pins and the coffee filter isn't applying enough pressure to remove the thermal paste.

I'm not sure how long this should take but can I just submerge the pins on the CPU in rubbing alcohol for a period of time and then have the thermal paste fall off.

chjade84

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Perhaps a picture would help us help you? I generally dislike submerging my CPU's in anything.

I know some thermal pastes are non-conductive so I would wonder if this is the problem at all. Obviously there is no need for thermal paste to be on the underside but if the computer worked at one time that "goo" was probably not the reason for the POST problem. Since it doesn't move around the pins it is unlikely that the just shifted at some time and shorted things out resulting in your POST problem.

Who knows, perhaps it is some goo meant to keep the contacts from corroding (not that they would) while still allowing contact between them and the socket.

I guess what I'm saying is that clean it off as best you can but I would think about other options that could be causing the problem because I don't think this goo is it.