Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

tonymarcus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse combo, the set I'm looking at (Logiech 5500 Revolution) comes with a bluetooth dongle which plugs into the USB socket on Motherboard.

The question I have is will it work with DOS programs and changing settings in the BIOS or will I have to plug in a conventional PS2 connected mouse/keyboard to enter BIOS settings?

TIA

Marcus

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
It's not exactly bluetooth. It's USB. If your mobo is new, there are 3 options in bios:

USB keyboard
USB mouse
Legacy USB

Enable them and you can use the keyb/mouse in dos, windows, linux, bsd, *nix, etc. However, some old drivers may conflict with this USB support so they won't work with USB keyb/mouse regardless of the mobo.

tonymarcus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007

Thanks for the reply, my motherboard is only 3 months old, a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5 and it has USB Mouse/Keyboard option.

So as far as the PC's concerned the bluetooth dongle for desktop set is just USB ?, the Dongle can also be used for pairing other bluetooth devices.

Perhaps I get it then, I just don't want to mess about plugging in PS2 keyboard everytime I want to adjust a BIOS setting.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Yes, any USB keyb/mouse can be used. FYI, I'm on fully USB keyb/mouse. I used to stick with PS/2 just cuz of better support. Now I can do bios, dos, etc. with the same USB keyb/mouse.

Like I said, some programs won't work with USB keyb/mouse regardless of how they're set up. The programs are few & far between. Mostly old ones that don't do USB.