INTEL X25 G2 RAID 0...INSANE!!!!

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
OK I ALWAYS THOUGHT MY BIGGEST UPGRADE PC WISE WOULD BE COMING FROM AN ALTHON XP 2400 CPU...TO A PHENOM X4 940...A BIG LEAP FROM 1 CORE..TO 4...

BUT I WAS WAS MISTAKEN, WHILE THAT WAS A GREAT UPGRADE...IT FAILS IN COMPARISON UPGRADING FROM AND HARD DRIVE TO SOLID STATE DRIVE..I JUS RECENTLY BOUGHT 2 INTEL X25-M G2S...I HAVE READ ABOUT SSDS FOR QUITE SOME TIME..BUT I NEVER USED ONE TO JUSTIFY THE PRICE INCREASE AND STORAGE SHORTAGE...

NEVERTHELESS..I FOUND 2 INTEL DRIVES 80GB FOR 240 A PIECE..AND DECIDED TO GO FOR IT..IM GLAD I DID...THE BEST INVESTMENT I EVER MADE...I DNT KNW ALL THE TECH TALK ON WHY SSDS ARE BETTER THAN HDS...BUT I DO KNW THAT REAL WORLD IMPACT IS AMAZING..

I DID A COMPARISON OF THE INTEL DRIVES..VS..MY OLD BOOT DRIVE WD 640 CAVIER BLUE..

INTEL RAID 0 2X80 GB
intel_0000.jpg

WD CAVIER BLUE 640 GB
wd_0000.jpg

RESULTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.. IF THESE GRAPHS MEAN NOTHING TO YOU..CONSIDER THIS THAT WEN I PUSH MY POWER BUTTON..IM ABLE TO SURF THE WEB IN 30 SECS...CAN YOUR RAPTOR DO THAT?...IF IT CAN, SHUT UP! I DNT WANT YOUR OPINIONS...IF U CAN AFFORD THESE DRIVES..GET THEM..GRANTED THIS IS A RAID VS NON RAID..BUT STILL AMAZING..!!! :eek:

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Uh... what do you mean "surf the web in 30 sec" if you mean your websites open in 30 seconds then thats pretty sad i have a 4 year old laptop that i dont use anymore but it has a 4200rpm drive with a 37mb read speed and has a P4 processor can render webpages as fast your monster SSDs can, i dont think you have any idea what you are talking about. And if you mean you can surf the entire internet in 30seconds then thats not true...what do you mean by 30secs? Internet speed is affect by your Download speed, DNS, and browser...not your hard drive. And even if your pages are cached in storage opening them on an HD vs an SSD will be a difference of milliseconds.

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Typing in all caps doesnt take away or add to the message.

And blackhawk...I mean as sminlal already pointed out..When I hit the power button, to turn the machine on, I am able to surf the web 30 seconds later. Meaning my pc posts, boots windows and is ready to surf the web in 30 seconds..

I couldnt do that b4 I got these drives..took at least a minute sometimes longer..

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Well my password is all caps..I just be too lazy to turn it off. But I understand now, make sure I make it easier to read.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Ah...so it takes 30seconds to boot and open up a browser on a storage device with around a 500mbps read speed?...are you using windows 7...on thos things I would thing they can boot anything in a couple seconds lol, maybe i overestimated SSD's? Becuase Xp boots on my 7200rpm drive with a 60mpbs read speed in about 25-30seconds and i can be surfing the web 2 seconds after that. (However i have tweaked XP like crazy for improved boot and performance so i think that is big factor)

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
No you dnt overestimate sdds...The booting of windows only takes about 5-10 seconds...the bios is the painful part...after it posts...it has to locate the raid drivers..which take about 10-20 seconds by themselves...maybe if i got a dedicated raid controller I could decrease the times a bit...as of right now I am only using the onboard raid controller.

Also i havent tweaked windows 7 at all..its all pretty stock..I should look into some tweaks to increase..but im pretty content as of now..

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Ooh yeah I have some computers that take forever on bios I think there are also bios tweaks but that would be the last thing I would ever mess with though and windows 7 probably boots slower then xp since it has way more processes and services according to what I have heard so 5-10sec boot time is pretty damn fast

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
With my luck, I tweak the bios and my motherboard might explode.

XP was a great O.S...everything feels snappy on XP from quad cores and SSDs to single cores and ATA HDs..without a doubt XP is there best O.S ever released..at least to me. Windows 7 could be a great hit to. If microsoft put dx 11 and fixed up xp 64..im pretty sure they would have a hard time sellin anythin in the future..XP is close 2 perfect

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
that benchmark really isnt that impressive I put together a 3-500GB raid array and short stroked it and the average read write was over 400MB/sec

you want an IOPS benchmark to show off SSD's not a transfer benchmark

sub mesa

Distinguished
You are using XP in conjunction with the Intel SSDs?

Please know that this decreases the lifespan of the SSDs more than necessary. XP creates partitions the wrong way, meaning you get some lower performance and decreases SSD lifetime as writes get amplified.

To fix this, delete all partitions on the drive, then install either Windows Vista or Windows 7 (prefered) on the SSD, letting it create its own partition. So Windows 7 setup has to create the partition. Then you will be fine.

This will also affect RAID0 performance, a RAID0 with bad partitions performs much less well and can even decrease performance in some cases.

Because Intel SSDs are great, your performance experience is so too. But you may want to look at this issue.

He may be thinking of this ludicrous article that recommends changing the drive firmware in order to reduce the drive's usable capacity. That is potentially dangerous (as any firmware update can be), but totally unnecessary. You don't have to go anywhere near the firmware to short-stroke a drive, just create a smaller partition during installation.

Ludicrous? Nope. That article uses SeaTools on a Seagate drive, which means that the update is both sanctioned by Seagate and essentially completely safe. It's true that all you need to do to get the same effect is create a smaller partition, but that doesn't make any other method dangerous or ludicrous.

Ludicrous: Idiotic or unthinkable, often to the point of being funny

Sorry, but that's exactly how it seems to me to resort to a firmware mod (supported or not) for something that can be done just as effectively without it. For the life of me I just can't see a single reason to do it that way.

It would be like bolting the trunk of your car closed so that you can't put anything heavy in it which would reduce gas mileage, when the sane thing to do is to just not bother putting anything in the trunk and leaving it accessible in case you really need it.

Well, the mod would make it just a tiny bit faster. There are still some actions (rare though they are) that would still access the entire drive if you don't use the SeaTools method, and they would slow it down. Would most users notice though? Probably not. I agree that just partitioning it properly is the way to go, but I won't completely dismiss the other possibilities.

kirvinb

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Actually I orginally bought to intel drives and It served me well, but i was tired of the slow booting process with the raid controllers having to load up. So I took one out and put it in my laptop. And kept 1 inside my desktop. Less performance of course but still 100x better than my old drives. And yes im using windows 7.

Havent had any problems since I had them either.