Trying to do a complete reinstall, NTLDR comp message

cmasury

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Hi group, trying to restore my system after a virus or something locked up my Compaq Presario SR1103WM My CD drive hasnt been reconized by the computer for some time before this incident. I am being stopped by a NTLDR compressed message I tried Pushing Ctrl Alt Del keys II still am unable to fix it. My experience is very limited, any ideas?

If you're trying to boot off the XP disc, to do the install, first you'll have to figure out why the CD drive isn't working. Otherwise, it'll skip the CD drive, and continue to try and boot off the next boot device.

Does the CD tray come out?
Did it show up in My Computer?

Since you're getting the NTLDR message, I assume you can't boot into windows anymore. Try putting the drive into another computer, or try another drive in yours.

cmasury

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010

Thank you for your help in this problem. If I just put my hard drive into another computer with a working cd drive, do i simply install insert the recovery discs or is there more to it than that?

cmasury

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Sorry, Aford10 the reason the CD drive doesnt work is a software issue im sure . The tray does come out . I only used it about 15 times max . 5 of those times for recovery discs. I dont remember if it showed up on my computer or not after it didnt work.

The easiest solution, would be to swap in a working CD drive, not swap out the hard drive.

If you are booting from the CD drive, the operating system (software) won't even come into play, because the CD drive will load before the hard drive. As long as it's a working CD drive, and it's connected properly, that's the best way to go.