Network Connection Problem

G

Hallo,

I copied this problem from another site, as it is exactly the problem we are having. Unfortunately, there was no answer to that problem..

Could some-one please help?

I tried to connect 2 of the computers i have at home. In fact I have 3: let's say 1, 2 and 3. When i connect computer 1 with computer 2, network works properly, same when i connect computer 1 with computer 3.

When i try connecting computer 2 and 3 together, i get the "network cable unplugged" message. Obviously it is not. The both run WinXP Pro with latest updates, drivers are up-to-date and as i said everthing works fine when i connect one of them with computer 1.

The thing is that the lights on the back of the network adapters don't light up when i connect 2 and 3 together (again, they do when i connect one of them with computer 1). They X-over cable and network adapters work fine as i use the same when i connect computer 1 with 2 or 3.

I don't know what to do to get them working together (2 and 3 that is). Can anyone help me get this network working ?

Thanx

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
My suggestions is not a definitive solution but a tryout!!!

When you hook up 2 and 3, release the IP address and reassign it in both PC's. Do it one PC at a time and have some time lapse between the two.

One question: what Windows PC 1 is running? What Windows running on 2 and 3?

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Odd problem... I wonder if you are actually using a straight through cable instead of crossover and either computer 2 or 3 NIC does not support emulating the crossover.

Very strange that the lights don't even come on.
Are you sure you are using a crossover cable?