jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I'm planning on getting myself into the liquid cooling scene, in the coming months, and wondered if anyone might recommend using 5.25 Bay Internal Resevoire/Pump comboes.

I figure that the more components you want to cool, the larger the tubing needs to be, but I would like to see the numbers spelled out in ways of reviews and charts.

There's alot of termonlogy that wasn't very well explained in the sticky posted above and i'd personally like to wrap my head around all of the little tid bits.

Any links to resources would be greatly appreciated. (I'm not afraid to read.)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You do not want a Thermaltake Bigwater/Zalman reserator/all-in-one bay kit. Trust me and the few others that know around here.

Conumdrum has a copy/paste that he always uses...just find anything WC related on the forum and find the links he posts...or just wait a while...either he or Shadow will re-post it. Please, please, please...read and research. Know what you are getting into before you leap. If you have a budget under $200, might be better to look into other air cooling. Its so much fun and DIY...just not cheap.

jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I've budgeted around $400 to $500 for the water cooling I plan on imtergrating.

This would include CPU, NB and GPU

And when I mentioned the Bay, I hadn't implied that I would like it to be an all one one, rather just the reservoire and pump. (Though it seems that the pump might be lacking in that respect.)

I would prefer to use a rear or side mounted rad with atleast 2-3 120mm fans.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Oh ok...good to know.

Like I mentioned, it really depends on what all you are cooling...you need to know exactly what components (for sure) before you decide on a pump and rads.

You don't really need NB WC...as long as there is a fan on it, you are most likely fine...unless you want to go for world record OC's. Otherwise, just forget it. Same goes for RAMsinks/MOSFETs.

Most people use a few different pumps: MCP355, MCP655 and there are a couple DangerDen/Thermaltake pumps. The MCP655 is a beast...most big loops use this. It is native 1/2" tubing, so makes running 1/2" your best bet for high flow.

jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Swiftech pumps are nice.

The board I plan on using, an MSI X58 Platinum, uses one heatsink for both NB & SB (as most do). Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to find a 2 in 1 cooling block which is MSI specific. Furtheremore, MSI doesn't even see fit to provide any active cooling solutions for the NB. I have a small clip on fan Asus provided me from a previous build, but I'd be surprised if it fit.

In eithercase, I certainly plan on cooling both CPU & GPU.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I wouldn't worry about it...my 780i board has a NB/SB big heatsink with a fan on the NB. I'd have to pull the entire thing just to cool the NB, which I wouldn't mind doing, but isn't necessary.

I know that there used to be a pump/res combo that had a Swiftech MCP355, which is a good, compact pump. I use the MCP655 variant (mine is actually a Liang, Swiftech, DD and others just rebrand them). I also use a D-tek v2 CPU block, which does an excellent job for dual/quad cores. The newest Swiftech Apogee's and the EK Supreme CPU blocks are also really good.

For CPU, I use MCW60's on my cards which is a GPU-only block...you still need RAM sinks with those. They only reason I still use it is two-fold:

I have used these blocks for 4+ different video cards (just changing mount brackets), and they cool really well. I like the look of the full-cover blocks and they do very well at cooling the entire card, but typically are only good for one card design. If you get new cards, you likely need new blocks. It's not a deal breaker, but I like to reuse as much as I can from upgrade to upgrade, if possible, only getting newer gear if it is going to outperform previous gear.

jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I've had my eye set on the Apogee GTZ Ci7. Sporting "1/2" and 3/8" hose barbs" - I'm assuming this means it is both 1/2'' and 3/8''s compatible.

As for the card(s) I i plan on cooling - I found a Geforge GTX 280 going for about the same price as the 275, and koolance has a nice full-cover block which should fit nicely.

I don't upgrade hardware often enough to bother with individual blocks - eventually i would like to pick up a second 280.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Koolance doesn't have the greatest reputation for being good WC gear. I don't know much about that full cover block, but it might be OK. Typically, they have had issues with mixed metals in loops (copper, aluminum) but if it is nickel plated you might be ok. Where I would be most concerned with their products is in and around the fittings.

As for the Apogee, yes, you can just screw in the barb size you want to use with the block.

@OP: If you haven't already seen this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252455-29-water-cooled-computer#t1801333

The GTZ is a good choice. There is no need to cool NB,MOSFET,RAM,etc. Just provide some airflow using a low speed or low noise fan. MAKESURE you get a 320 or better rad (if just cooling the CPU) more if GPU will be cooled.