Fedora? 7, 8, or 9?

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Which version of fedora should i use? I have two hard drives in my computer, a windows and one for linux. I want your input as to what the pros and cons of each version are so i know which to use

ahmshaegar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I haven't used Fedora since version 2, and they called it Fedora Core back then. I thought 3 and 4 went downhill. I really don't like RPM and RPM-based distros, but I haven't used any in a while, so they may have gotten better.

So, I can't really give you a comparison between Fedora 7, 8, and 9. I will echo runswindows95, though. I believe Fedora is on a six month cycle between releases (might be mistaken), and during those six months, a lot can be done. Each new version includes newer versions of the Linux kernel, X server, desktop environment, and so on. Bugs and quirks will be fixed. Generally, only security issues are fixed in older releases, and only during the time the older versions are supported. Afterward, it's up to the community to fix those problems.

If you are on ancient hardware, you might want to look up the system requirements for each version of Fedora. If the computer is really that ancient, then Fedora 7 may have slightly lower system requirements; however, I doubt you'll need to take this measure.

If you don't have any special circumstances, run the latest version of the distro. It will likely be the most compatible and feature-filled choice.

robert_rcr

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
If you really want Fedora I'll agree with runswindows95 and get the lates distros. I have use lots of linux distros in the past and still use linux almost every day I'm currently using Ubunto 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition it is a very stable OS and has lots of support for different hardware or I'll try PCLinuxOS that is also a very stable OS that requires less from your hardware and runs much faster that any other Linux distro I have try. Here are some links:

Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

PCLinuxOS: http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

but it is better to google up other linux distros and try them because there are lots of distros out there and all have there ups and downs

dorrito64

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
thanks guys. i'm waiting for the other person who will pay for the computer to do so. i've got my own 500GB hard drive.

it's agreed that UBUNTU(most recent model) is the best choice? I'm guessing it does auto updates?