Upgrade from AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Socket AM2

I'm thinking about upgrading my AMD Athlon X2 4200+ to something better. Currently I'm looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103249 as a decent upgrade, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the AM3 processors to come out, or if it would be better in the long run to get a new mobo and switch over to Intel. Any suggestions? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrade athlon 4200 socket
  1. The Phenom 9850 is about as fast as a Q6600 and about the same price.

If your current motherboard supports it go for it. It's cheaper and less work than buying the Q6600 and a new motherboard.

What are you doing with the PC? Is it for games? Do you play FSX?
  2. This definately depends on the MoBo that you have. While some of the AM2 boards will work with an AM2+ CPU, there is a large amount that won't and never will. Also, even the AM2 boards that will, won't take full advantage of AM2+ CPU's. I like that CPU... but only in a board made for it. There are some inexpensive AM2+ boards out there that offer a lot of value.
  3. Darn it, yoda... we meet again to discus this very CPU...
  4. LOL. It is a good CPU, after all, no wonder people talk about it.

Here's a trophy for your cat - best avatar I've seen today :)

[:turpit:2]
  5. Thanks for the input. If it makes a difference, my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4.
  6. Make sure that mobo can support a 125W CPU.
  7. aevm said:
    LOL. It is a good CPU, after all, no wonder people talk about it.

Here's a trophy for your cat - best avatar I've seen today :)

[:turpit:2]

You should see my TF2 avitar. Freakazoid. Haven't made one for THG yet though. Too lazy. :kaola:

Anonymous said:
    Thanks for the input. If it makes a difference, my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4.

Your mobo will support a 9850BE X4. That would be the best bet because your mobo should support the 45nm CPUs. But I would say in 1-2 years that would be the time to consider both Intel and AMD and a whole new build.

But for now stick with this mobo and drop a 9850BE into it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Socket Product