Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp hard drive limit

Last response: in Storage
October 22, 2009 3:18:07 PM

I have an xp hard drive with 11 GB. The drive is totally Full. How and what can I safely remove to free up some space?
a b G Storage
October 22, 2009 3:31:00 PM

Run a drive cleaning program like ccleaner. Also run a duplicate file finder if you have data on there.

October 22, 2009 3:48:00 PM

Thank you for this info. I just tried to download ccleaner, but, I do not have enough free space to download it.
I tried to uninstall Adobe to free up 200 MB or so.. (reinstall later) but, when I try to uninstall Adobe, I get this message "You do not have enough space to 'IINSTALL' Adobe" Strange! Any idea on this.... and / or any suggestion on what I could uninstall temporarily? Thank you.
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 22, 2009 3:55:26 PM

Clone the disk to a bigger one with Acronis True Image or similar.
October 22, 2009 4:11:19 PM

I'm not experienced with flash drives.. in fact, I'm not sure what it is. I do have a 2nd notebook computer.. would it be possible to download ccleaner to that computer and then perform the function with ccleaner on my other notebook?

I tried to uninstall Adobe (about 200 mb) from add and remove, and when I clicked on remove... I was asked to confirm that I wanted to uninstall adobe... I confirmed... a second later this message hit: You do not have enough capacity to "INSTALL" abobe,.. Any other ideas on what I might temporarily remove? Thx.
October 22, 2009 4:39:56 PM

1780007,5,82092 said:
You can put this on a flash drive and run it from there:

CCleaner Portable 2.24.1010

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Security...[/quotemsg

evongugg, with your indulgence, could you explain the procedure to clone the disk to a bigger one with Acronis True Image?
Thank you.

a b G Storage
October 23, 2009 12:02:53 PM

Install the program.
Hook up the new disk together with the old disk.
Clone from old disk to new disk in Acronis.
Shut down.
Replace old disk with new disk.
All set!

If you are doing this for the first timer, make a backup in advance in case anything goes wrong.
a b G Storage
October 23, 2009 12:04:35 PM

If the drives are PATA, hook up the old disk initially as slave.
After cloning change the jumper to master as appropriate.
October 23, 2009 12:58:11 PM

Thank you for that advice. I will give it a try. Regards.
a c 342 G Storage
October 23, 2009 3:06:02 PM

When you clone to the new larger drive, make sure you look through the menus so you can tell it NOT to make the clone the same size as the original. Make the new clone much larger - up to the full size of the new drive, your choice - so you don't perpetuate the problem.
!