a8n32 bsod problems

auzorann

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
i've got an a8n32 sli that has worked perfectly until recently. i used automatic update and after installing it wanted me to reboot. so i reboot the pc and when it got back to the windows xp logo i got a bsod.

after a while i finally figured out that if i use a PS2 mouse instead of a USB mouse it boots perfectly. as soon as i plug a USB mouse in i get the same bsod (something about the motherboard not being ACPI compliant).

strange thing is that i'm using a USB keyboard and a USB wireless internet drive and both of those work just fine.

this pc is running Windows XP SP2.

any help is greatly appreciated.

grid212

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006

Unfortunately this is a known issue with the ASUS A8N32 and Windows XP SP3. ASUS have released a firmware update for the A8N motherboard (1409) however this didn't make any difference on the machine I upgraded. There are several workarounds however, see my reply on this thread for a cure:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/es-ES/itproxpsp/thread/51f25522-752f-4a41-93ca-1fe7f0fc3381

I hope that helps.

smackdab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Hi Auzorann,

I too have encountered this issue with my A8N32. I started getting the same BSOD when I added a 3rd SATA hard drive. I found a fix on-line but I have no idea why it works. It works for me though.

My rig boots Windows XP pro, Vista ultimate, or Windows 7. I only encounter the BSOD problem when booting into XP. I use a USB mouse and a USB keyboaard.

The fix I found was plugging a large USB flash drive into one of my USB ports. When I say large I mean larger than 2GB. I use an 8GB drive I had spare. I tried a 512MB drive and it did not work. Try booting with the USB flash drive plugged in. I just leave mine in a spare USB port in the back of my computer.

Why this works? Beats me.

By the way, I am running the very latest BIOS for my board. The release notes indicated that it would fix this (or a similar sounding problem) but the BIOS did not fix the problem I had.

Give it a try and let us know if it works for you.

smackdab