How do I get my second computer hooked up to the internet?

MAC709

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Sorry if this is the wrong section to ask but I'm getting a new computer and I'm not sure how to give it the internet. I just wanna know the easiest, cheapest way to split my internet. Someone said I need to put a router on the back of my modem but how do I know that will fit on my somewhat old modem. If you need more details just ask.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
It depends on your internet connection. If your using DSL you need a router, if your using cable you need a switch. If your on "heaven forbid" dial up your going to need another phone line.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
But a swich is far cheaper and doesn't require any setup. You can pick up a 5 port swich at NewEgg for $15. The cheapest router was $21.

MAC709

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
yeah I'm using aliant ultra high speed I think. I'm pretty sure it's DSL. this is probably a stupid question, but what kind of internet hook up is cable?

Dooyas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Wether you are using cable or DSL, buy yourself a router. A switch requires another IP address from your modem, some have trouble giving it, some Cable companies charge for an extra IP address.

The brands to look for are D-Link, Lynksys, and Belkin. They are the top 3.

You most likely do not need a wireless router, unless you have the computers in different areas and can not run cat 5 cable (ethernet cable) to each of them.

A regular non wireless router will be pretty much plug and play. You take the ethernet cable from your modem and plug it into the router. From the router you plug in both computers and you are pretty much done.

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Well if you using DSL Internet, you have the phone line hooked up to a box, that box has a Ethernet cable going from it to the computer (It might be a USB cable).

If you have Cable Internet, then theirs a Coaxial cable (the usually white or Pale yellow, stiff cable for cable TV) goin to a box, and that box has a Ethernet cable going to the computer (or a usb cable)

Hope this helps

rockyjohn

Distinguished
You might also check with your DSL provider and see what options they have. I had SBC (now AT&T) and I received a free modem/router combo device from them that allows me to connect 3 computers - and provides wireless, and I got it for free when I renewed my account several years ago. If you are still under the initial term of a contract you might have to pay for it but I was beyond the term on mine and got them to provide it when I signed a new contract. And it simplifies support if I have to call them with a troubleshooting issue.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Look at your last internet bill. There should be some mention of what type of service it is. It probably is DSL.

How does your first computer connect? I am betting there is an ethernet cable (looks like a phone jack but bigger) that goes to a box.

This box is called a router.

Get a second ethernet cable, and plug it into the back of your computer, and into one of the available router slots. If your computer is in another room, then you will need to connect wirelessly, or have a very long ethernet cable. If you do not have an ethernet cable you can but one from newegg as posted above me, or visit an office supply store.

MAC709

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I heard that wireless is slower than wired, and since I'm into online gaming I should probably get wired, right? I'll try and reach DSL provider and see what options they have for me.

sezo96

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
ive got a pc and i share it with my brother. but im getting a laptop soon, can i have internet on the laptop even though ive already got internet on the pc?

if i can how??

rockyjohn

Distinguished
What kind of connection do you have? DSL or cable? The pc should be connected to a modem or router that connects to the internet. See if it has any sockets to connect another pc directly to it. If not, you may need to purchase an inexpensive switch to connect to the one port on the modem and then connect the switch to the PC and laptop.

hildarpou

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

I have DSL and want to connect a second computer in another room without a long using a long cable.what items do I need and how do I connect them?

Hildarpou - You've made multiple mistakes digging up this old thread. First, this is the "Homebuilt Systems" section. There is a networking section dedicated to this type of thing. Second, you shouldn't dig up an old thread, you should start your own new thread for this subject.

By the way, what you'll want is a wireless router and a wireless card for your second computer.