CES 2010, Day 1: AMD CPUs, DX11 Goes Mobile, Fermi Spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterecho

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
i just lost some respect for ati. I really appreciated their 4000 series
mobility parts since they were truthful unlike nvidia.

It looks like AMD cpu division - so so engineering, good marketing.
AMD graphics divisions - superb engineering, really bad marketing at least
on the mobility front. Hope they don't turn into a nvidia any further.

soark

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
What is the motherboard used in the Fermi preview? The motherboard orientation is up, is that any good?

G

The case looks awesome, 6 internal hd's good layout.. whats the model!?

cobular

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
[citation][nom]paradoks[/nom]The case looks awesome, 6 internal hd's good layout.. whats the model!?[/citation]
Pretty sure its the new silverstone raven (think thats the name) case the rotated 90 degrees motherboard is pretty unique.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]It's good that a company proven to lie, cheat, steal and bribe is going to make the money back it payed as punishment? Really?I know TH are total Intel fanboys, but man, Loyd Case, you take the cake.[/citation]

He meant it's good for AMD; you really just took what he said out of context. Regardless of whether he's a fanboy or not the fact is AMD doesn't really have anything new for us on the CPU front. While the X4 Athlon IIs are pretty competitive with the i3s they're certainly in for a rough year. It'll help thing they've got a good thing going with the 5-series radeons, though.

linaaslt

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
As i'v read you'll need to get a new case for Fermi, the case that you can see in picture, and that's sad news for some of us... :/

leon2006

Distinguished
I'm waiting for detailed HDTV 3D specs/standards definition. I'm in a market for another HDTV and I'm reconsidering it pending the definition of the new standard. Its pretty clear that we need to purchase new TV set to avail of 3D movies/shows at home.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
um i gotta say the nvidia fermi display looked nice and weak, judging by the lack of fanfare it makes me think that it could be a 5850 re-cased for all we know running that benchmark haha,

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]linaaslt[/nom]As i'v read you'll need to get a new case for Fermi, the case that you can see in picture, and that's sad news for some of us...[/citation]
really? I would love to know where you read that.

frederico

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Fermi - with every major graphics card release.. the 8800 series, the 5800 from ATI, etc, etc.. there have been solid facts that have slipped out, leaked out, etc.. nothing has come out about Fermi, just dodgy pictures it seems, which is an essential marketing tool to keep potential customers 'holding on' obviously, but its just disappointing. The longer it is left, the stronger Fermi has to be.

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
What was the fermi setup running? Was it a movie? a still picture? a game? or?

AMD has always had issues with their CPU business. They're CPUs deliver more bang for the buck than Intel, but they don't make money for AMD. So what's the point in making them? I never thought AMD would depend on ATI to be profitable. Not that they're actually profitable. I suppose with the money from Intel, they'll show a 4Q2009 profit, but I'm not convinced they'll show any profit in any quarter in 2010.

zachatfield

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
[citation][nom]zachatfield[/nom]They're so depressed about Fermi (sounds an awful lot like Fergi) they have to drink to forget![/citation]
Looks like lord of the rings to me LOL

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Weak display. The launch of ATI 5000 series on the U.S. Hornet was much more impressive. PR guy says it’s "already better than AMD’s fastest GPU." Really, then where’s the specs already dude? Since the chip is rumored to be 40% larger than ATI 5000, it should be 40% faster right? lol...and use 40% more power, and cost 40% more, hell I heard the damn think can cook bacon. In fact it’s now dubbed the "baconator." True story, I can't credit for coming up with "baconator" though.

jedluna

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
[citation][nom]cobular[/nom]Pretty sure its the new silverstone raven (think thats the name) case the rotated 90 degrees motherboard is pretty unique.[/citation]

that motherboard is an ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Uh... yah sure Nick. Nick of Nvidia sure says a lot (or brags a lot) about Fermi. The thing is... were we supposed to believe him then when Fermi was supposed to be out by now or are we to believe him now that Fermi runs circles around ATI's fastest. Hmm... ATI is here and is the King and Queen too) of GPUs by having the fastest and second fastest GPUs in the market and Fermi, well...., Fermi is in Nick's words a Q1 product. He better deliver on those words. There are about 80 days left on Q1 so if Fermi isn't out to battle ATI, then I guess Nick will lose whatever credibility he has left.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I think all this 3d shit is a waist of time unless its leading up to holographic gaming or w/e. Then Ill just watch untill it becomes something worth while.

Good job AMD..seize the opportunity while its at hand. The DX11 stuff not the 3D stuff.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
It's obviously running Uniengine in the photograph. The question is did you see the cobble stone tesselated and was it smooth? I don't need FPS, just tell me if there was stutter and if it was running @ native resolution?

geof2001

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
I'm pretty sure the case is just face down. The drive cage is there at the bottom with the PS hanging just above it. Nothing new there to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.