• Mobile
  • CPUs
  • AMD
  • CES
Last response: in Reviews comments
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 7:20:55 AM

Loyd Case is back after a first day of running around Las Vegas pre-CES. His meetings with ATI, Zalman, Patriot, and Nvidia have yielded information on the first DirectX 11 mobile GPUs, AMD's CPU strategy for the year, and a sneak peek at Fermi in action.

CES 2010, Day 1: AMD CPUs, DX11 Goes Mobile, Fermi Spotted : Read more

More about : ces 2010 day amd cpus dx11 mobile fermi spotted

January 7, 2010 8:07:11 AM

i just lost some respect for ati. I really appreciated their 4000 series
mobility parts since they were truthful unlike nvidia.

It looks like AMD cpu division - so so engineering, good marketing.
AMD graphics divisions - superb engineering, really bad marketing at least
on the mobility front. Hope they don't turn into a nvidia any further.
Score
January 7, 2010 8:07:43 AM

alswome hope its out soon
Score
January 7, 2010 8:41:51 AM

I agree with alterecho, even the Mobility Radeon 4850 has 800 stream processors, and now the Mobility Radeon 5870 has the same? At least it's GDDR5...
Score
January 7, 2010 9:39:56 AM

What is the motherboard used in the Fermi preview? The motherboard orientation is up, is that any good?
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 10:31:51 AM

The case looks awesome, 6 internal hd's good layout.. whats the model!?
Score
January 7, 2010 11:28:00 AM

paradoksThe case looks awesome, 6 internal hd's good layout.. whats the model!?

Pretty sure its the new silverstone raven (think thats the name) case the rotated 90 degrees motherboard is pretty unique.
Score
January 7, 2010 11:49:04 AM

zipzoomflyhighIt's good that a company proven to lie, cheat, steal and bribe is going to make the money back it payed as punishment? Really?I know TH are total Intel fanboys, but man, Loyd Case, you take the cake.

He meant it's good for AMD; you really just took what he said out of context. Regardless of whether he's a fanboy or not the fact is AMD doesn't really have anything new for us on the CPU front. While the X4 Athlon IIs are pretty competitive with the i3s they're certainly in for a rough year. It'll help thing they've got a good thing going with the 5-series radeons, though.
Score
January 7, 2010 11:51:12 AM

As i'v read you'll need to get a new case for Fermi, the case that you can see in picture, and that's sad news for some of us... :/ 
Score
January 7, 2010 11:59:38 AM

I'm waiting for detailed HDTV 3D specs/standards definition. I'm in a market for another HDTV and I'm reconsidering it pending the definition of the new standard. Its pretty clear that we need to purchase new TV set to avail of 3D movies/shows at home.
Score
January 7, 2010 12:01:23 PM

um i gotta say the nvidia fermi display looked nice and weak, judging by the lack of fanfare it makes me think that it could be a 5850 re-cased for all we know running that benchmark haha,
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 12:24:51 PM

linaasltAs i'v read you'll need to get a new case for Fermi, the case that you can see in picture, and that's sad news for some of us...

really? I would love to know where you read that.
Score
January 7, 2010 12:51:00 PM

Fermi - with every major graphics card release.. the 8800 series, the 5800 from ATI, etc, etc.. there have been solid facts that have slipped out, leaked out, etc.. nothing has come out about Fermi, just dodgy pictures it seems, which is an essential marketing tool to keep potential customers 'holding on' obviously, but its just disappointing. The longer it is left, the stronger Fermi has to be.
Score
January 7, 2010 12:51:56 PM

What was the fermi setup running? Was it a movie? a still picture? a game? or?

AMD has always had issues with their CPU business. They're CPUs deliver more bang for the buck than Intel, but they don't make money for AMD. So what's the point in making them? I never thought AMD would depend on ATI to be profitable. Not that they're actually profitable. I suppose with the money from Intel, they'll show a 4Q2009 profit, but I'm not convinced they'll show any profit in any quarter in 2010.
Score
January 7, 2010 1:31:54 PM

They're so depressed about Fermi (sounds an awful lot like Fergi) they have to drink to forget!
Score
January 7, 2010 1:32:35 PM

zachatfieldThey're so depressed about Fermi (sounds an awful lot like Fergi) they have to drink to forget!

Looks like lord of the rings to me LOL
Score
January 7, 2010 1:37:37 PM

Weak display. The launch of ATI 5000 series on the U.S. Hornet was much more impressive. PR guy says it’s "already better than AMD’s fastest GPU." Really, then where’s the specs already dude? Since the chip is rumored to be 40% larger than ATI 5000, it should be 40% faster right? lol...and use 40% more power, and cost 40% more, hell I heard the damn think can cook bacon. In fact it’s now dubbed the "baconator." True story, I can't credit for coming up with "baconator" though.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 1:38:39 PM

he insisted that the results are better than the ati cards, if he had the benchmark running, why didn't he show you
Score
January 7, 2010 1:39:02 PM

cobularPretty sure its the new silverstone raven (think thats the name) case the rotated 90 degrees motherboard is pretty unique.

that motherboard is an ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 1:48:43 PM

the pc is from maingear - a silk
Score
January 7, 2010 1:52:34 PM

the case is a maingear silk
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 1:58:41 PM

Uh... yah sure Nick. Nick of Nvidia sure says a lot (or brags a lot) about Fermi. The thing is... were we supposed to believe him then when Fermi was supposed to be out by now or are we to believe him now that Fermi runs circles around ATI's fastest. Hmm... ATI is here and is the King and Queen too) of GPUs by having the fastest and second fastest GPUs in the market and Fermi, well...., Fermi is in Nick's words a Q1 product. He better deliver on those words. There are about 80 days left on Q1 so if Fermi isn't out to battle ATI, then I guess Nick will lose whatever credibility he has left.
Score
January 7, 2010 2:09:45 PM

I think all this 3d shit is a waist of time unless its leading up to holographic gaming or w/e. Then Ill just watch untill it becomes something worth while.

Good job AMD..seize the opportunity while its at hand. The DX11 stuff not the 3D stuff.
Score
January 7, 2010 2:29:23 PM

It's obviously running Uniengine in the photograph. The question is did you see the cobble stone tesselated and was it smooth? I don't need FPS, just tell me if there was stutter and if it was running @ native resolution?
Score
January 7, 2010 3:00:24 PM

I'm pretty sure the case is just face down. The drive cage is there at the bottom with the PS hanging just above it. Nothing new there to see.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 3:09:29 PM

soarkWhat is the motherboard used in the Fermi preview? The motherboard orientation is up, is that any good?

the case itself is upside down, note that there is no pci brackets on the second pic.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 3:09:59 PM

I'm surprised they put out another 80 shader part. Considering they have been increasing the shaders I would have thought that the least they would do is 160 for an IGP and the same for a dedicated part allowing for decent Hybrid crossfire performance. Oh well. I'm curious to see how the 400 shader parts will preform.
Score
January 7, 2010 3:57:13 PM

They need one dirty cheap alternative to market micros, for those who like to surf and play minesweeper and pasians, thats why 80 shader version. The 400 shader part is first really interesting alternative to mobile gaming.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 4:58:15 PM

Well, maybe the competition will heat up.
Score
January 7, 2010 5:11:13 PM

It is one good looking case that's for sure.

I don't know why people keeping saying they will get HD 5000 series ASAP without seeing what's Nvidia's release and its impact on HD 5000's pricing.

Nvidia is saying it will release a card that’s faster than ATI’s fastest within 90 days and people keep acting as if buying a HD 5000 now will be the best decision they’ll ever made.

All the talks of Nvidia giving up the market just make me laugh in frustration. Are people/gamers’ memory really that bad? A year and half ago people were saying AMD is giving up both CPU and graphic market because of Phenom I and HD 3000.
Score
January 7, 2010 5:21:30 PM

@pei-chen - Oi?! What was wrong with HD 3000???
Score
January 7, 2010 5:41:29 PM

Everyone knows(AMD forum and the one's that got banned from this forum)that TH is Big Intel Fan. $$$$$$$$$ talks.
Score
January 7, 2010 8:19:09 PM

mindless728he insisted that the results are better than the ati cards, if he had the benchmark running, why didn't he show you

that's bring something on the table.. WHY do i feel that TH guys are intel (and now nvidia) fanboys? i mean if the results are better than ATI's flagship, then maybe u had sometime with the nvidia guy looking at you while you're benchmarking.. or in the other case u must be an eagle to spot the frame rate difference between Fermi and ATi using only ur eyes!! yes??
Score
January 7, 2010 8:25:44 PM

Fermi's retarded.

No I'm not trolling but how many times have Nvidia re-scheduled release?

Its now 2010 and they're still not finished their product.

I think Nvidia is finished and ATI will be forced to help them unless they want to face monopoly charges.

No 12 year olds, not the monopoly game.
Score
January 7, 2010 8:48:04 PM

dingumfFermi's retarded.No I'm not trolling but how many times have Nvidia re-scheduled release?Its now 2010 and they're still not finished their product.I think Nvidia is finished and ATI will be forced to help them unless they want to face monopoly charges.No 12 year olds, not the monopoly game.

Well, Microsoft did give Macintosh a whole lot of millions once, and in all likeliness, it was so Macintosh didn't go under.

Even ATI must realize that if Nvidia dies, they have issues inbound.

And what company doesn't actually like a challenge?
Could you imagine being an engineer with noone to compete with anymore?
Score
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2010 10:08:24 PM

whos the cocksucking faggot giving thumbs down?
Score
January 8, 2010 1:20:30 AM

thumbs down for foul language...lol
Score
January 8, 2010 1:27:28 AM

KidHornWhat was the fermi setup running? Was it a movie? a still picture? a game? or?

It's running the Unigine "Heaven" DX11 benchmark.
Score
January 8, 2010 1:33:23 AM

Quote:
It’s good that Intel settled with AMD and forked over $1.25 billion, because Intel will probably earn it all back as AMD struggles to compete.

An unnecessary Intel PR Talk.

Quote:
The system was running the Uniengine DirectX 11 benchmark, and Nick insisted that the results were already better than AMD’s fastest GPU.

And you believed that? Honestly, why didn't you repeat the same comment above for AMD over this one? Starting to look real? Fermi should have been in reality already if we've just believed their PR talk before, unfortunately it's still inexistent until this very moment.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2010 4:25:02 AM

im wondering what the top card will cost??
Score
January 8, 2010 8:39:55 AM

The case is the Raven, it isn't upside down.
Score
!