A8N32-SLI DELUXE wierd problem!

Last response: in Motherboards
September 8, 2008 12:28:59 AM

OK guys and gals check this out!

System board: A8n32-SLI DELUXE
Ram: Kingston HyperRam
Video card: Asus EAX1950 PRO

September 06 2008.

Started the computer and got a blank screen with one long beep followed by 3 short beeps and the machine was locked.
So i cleared the CMOS and started the machine , worked fine! so i rebooted to BIOS and changed the date back to Sep 06 2008.
Rebooted and got the blank screen and the one long 3 short beep again.
I turned off the machine cleared the CMOS again and restarted back to setup and changed the dater to sep 8th 2008 and rebooted and it worked fine.
Ran a virus scan , everything checked out OK.
Just as a last test i went back into the BIOS setup and changed the date back to Sep 6th 2008, Guess what happened on the reboot?
That's right,, no boot with error beeps.

So after clearing the CMOS and and setting the date to the 8th , and rebooting, it works fine now.

In summery, start machine with:
BIOS date 09 05 2008 or before works fine
BIOS date 09 06 2008 blank screen with one long beep and three short beeps and locks up
BIOS date 09 07 2008 or after works fine

Weird eh?

What do you think the problem was?
BIOS virus? CMOS virus?
RTC RAM error?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2008 5:55:46 AM

Loserdave, the issues of the A8N32-SLI Deluxe and the installation of SP3 (Service Pack 3) are well documentmented over the net. Can supply lnks if you can not find them. Not sure this is your problem, but if you installed SP3 you WILL have problems. Go on the product page and look through the Forums there. I installed Vista and have my A8N32-SLI deluxe running fantastic since then.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2008 7:34:45 AM

Pull out your video card and re-seat it. See what happens.
Related resources
September 14, 2008 5:26:56 PM

badge said:
Loserdave, the issues of the A8N32-SLI Deluxe and the installation of SP3 (Service Pack 3) are well documentmented over the net. Can supply lnks if you can not find them. Not sure this is your problem, but if you installed SP3 you WILL have problems. Go on the product page and look through the Forums there. I installed Vista and have my A8N32-SLI deluxe running fantastic since then.

I have XP with SP2 and installer update .. but thanks for the reminder ,, i do remember people having problems with the SP3 , however, i dont see how that would affect bios?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2008 5:32:00 PM

Try what swifty recommended. Do not install SP3.
September 14, 2008 5:32:02 PM

swifty_morgan said:
Pull out your video card and re-seat it. See what happens.

That seemed like the most reasonable cause, and actually i tried that.. but it still had the issue with CMOS date set to Sep 6th.
I't working good now ,, i don't dare set the date back to see what happens :D 

thanks for your sugestions
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2008 3:57:58 AM

did you try replacing the battery ?
October 25, 2009 9:28:00 PM

GERMAN:
Hatte oben beschriebene Probleme: Ab der Installation von SP3 bootete mein Rechner ständig neu.
Google hat mir ein paar Ideen mit USB-Stick und PS/2-Maus eingebracht.
Sehr unbefriedigend. Habe weiter probiert und folgende LÖSUNG:

1. (Weiß nicht, ob alle es brauchen) Habe BIOS Version 1409 installiert.
2. WindowsUpdates installiert. (Stand 25.10.2009). Da ist zwar kein Patch dafür dabei, aber so ist nunmal meine Konfiguration derzeit. Hatte aber nach den Updates immer noch das Problem.
3. BIOS Setup starten
4. PS/2-Unterstützung auf AKTIVIERT stellen (nicht Auto)
5. ACPI muss aktiviert sein
6. Unter APM-Konfuguration alle Punkte deaktivieren. Der erste Punkt steht bei mir auf "Power Off".

Mit diesen Einstellungen kann ich mit meinem A8N32-SLI Deluxe auch Win XP Prof SP3 installiert haben, gleichzeitig eine USB-Maus betreiben und muss keinen USB-Stick im Slot haben, um mein Windows starten zu können.
WOW!

Dafür kaufe ich mir so ein teures Board...
Ich hoffe irgendwem hilfts.

ENGLISH:
I had above described problems as well: After installing SP3, my pc kept on rebooting all the time.
Google told me to insert an USB stick into drive an using a PS/2 mouse. Not really what i wanted to.
So my solution with my important system configuration:

1. (dont know if needed for all), but I installed BIOS version 1409 from ASUS.
2. I installed all windows updates until 25.10.2009. (Wont fix the problem, but I did it)
3. start BIOS setup
4. definetly activate PS/2 support(not auto)
5. ACPI has to be activated
6. disable everthing under APM configuration. First entry may be "Power Off"

With this configuration I am able to run Win XP prof SP3 with my A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard, concurrently using a USB mouse and have no need to permanently keep an USB stick in my drive, when starting windows.
WOW!

Thats why I bought such a costly board...
Hope it is helpful for someone...
!