Mr Liopleurodon

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Hello I just recently got done completing a new PC build. The specs are as follows

Coolermaster Centurion 5 ATX Mid-Tower Case
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Mobo
EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512mb GPU
Rosewill RP600V2 600w PSU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale CPU
G-Skill 4GB DDR2 Ram
Seagate Barracuda 250gb HDD
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler

I have two problems.

1) The PC powers on when plugging in the keyboard to the onboard connections
2) I am getting no monitor output. I am checking all connections, have the PSU plugged into the GPU, and just need some ideas.

Any help on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Mr Liopleurodon (The PC powers on when plugging in the keyboard to the onboard connections ) do you get a display when you do the #1 problem

Mr Liopleurodon

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
No. I get the amber light and a blank screen. If I unplug the monitor the color test pops up on screen. The monitor works on just a VGA connection too. I have to use an adapter for the new build and have tried two. Just as soon as you plug in the keyboard the PC powers on by itself. I get no POST either.

johnnymac13

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
that is a strange issue. you may want to try and flash/floppy update the bios and see if that helps. Is your Motherboard jumper free? if not then check to make sure all your jumpers are correctly placed.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Mr Liopleurodon so not getting any start up beep.have checked and made sure the cpu is clamed down good,it doesn't wiggle when you grab it does it.no beeps can mean cpu sometime I would check cpu first.the keyboard thing is puzzleing me are you saying you don't have it plugged up when you power on pc.also is it usb keyboard or ps2

Mr Liopleurodon

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Yes both 24 and 4 pin connectors are plugged in.

Basically I had to undo my PC wiring to get it out of the desk to troubleshoot. As I plug everything back in it goes fine. But once that PS/2 connector from the keyboard is plugged in the PC just powers on as if I pressed the power button. I thought it might have been an accident but it's done it twice in a row.

As for the monitor problem, everything is getting power. My CPU and fan are running, all case fans, GPU is powered on, PSU is on. I simply just don't get monitor output.

I will reconnect the 24 and 4 pin connectors. Does it matter which 4 pin? I show a + and - but the manual says any 4 pin into the connection. I used the +. I will also try resetting the BIOS also.

You didn't say whether the 4Gb is 4x1 or 2x2. Either way, try booting with only one stick of RAM. If you can get into the BIOS, set the RAM voltage and timings according to the memory specs. A lot of no video problems are caused by either incompatible memory or incorrect memory voltage.

Mr Liopleurodon

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Thanks shortstuff I will give that a shot. I have 2x2 so that could be the issue.

Everyone else thanks for your help and I will let you know if I get this running.

Best regards.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Mr Liopleurodon that board has onboard video try useing the on board connection,then if that work go in to bios and turn onboard video off,also when it does boot up check bios version,bios out of the box may not support e8400 may have to flash bios to latest bios.hope this help you out

Mr Liopleurodon

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Thanks everyone for the help again.

I removed a stick of ram and it booted up just fine. I reset the mobo to match the ram specifications and stuck the other stick in and works wonders. Everything is running full force without any hiccups.

You all are so helpful!