Dell Gx 280 SFF motherboard question

weatherman

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Hello all-I have a Dell GX 280 SFF desktop pc with a New sata hard drive and a P4 3.0 ghz Cpu and 2 gigs of Ram--My question is--I notice at times when boot the machine cold or hot--The OS stats loading then hangs--Sometimes the OS loads great--but some of the programs will lock up in mid action.. I opened the top of the pc when i get locked or no boot while the unit is still up and running and i lightly TAP the cpu fan or the heat sink on the on board video--then BINGO--i'm back up again.. Strange right? I took the MB out today and looked for Cold solder joints--and cracks--I didnt see anything--i also took the cpu out and reseated it.. Fired it back up--and it hung on boot--Hard drive light remained Green no activity--steady green--Until i tapped the cpu fan or the video heat sink--then the drive kicks in and continues to boot--and most times the pc stays on for hours at a time running flawless..

Any help? Thanks all have a great night! MARK

MK_DEATHANGEL

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
i have gx280 too...
this machine makes me fired up.... it generates mass of haets form... proccessor...powersupply and even mobo....

recently i pluged a new 250gb sata2 8mb cache SEAGATE.... it ran gud..... but :fou: 3rd day because of the powerfailure while progarams installation... the pc performance decreasED :fou: and now it have cpu usage 1-4-15% in idle... and surfing hdd is slower now too... even the dextop got slower... can any one help....plsss :fou: :fou: