Help me OC! i7 920 C0

firewall597

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I should be receiving the last of my new build today, and hope to get it going this weekend, tonight if I'm lucky. I've been a "stock-boy" forever, only OC I ever tried was when my old Patriot memory wouldnt reach advertised latency, and I fried em haha. I want to get my i7 920 up to at least 3.2ghz, and I've bought the Noctua 1366 socket heatsink.

I've read all over about this the past couple days, and one thing I've noticed is everyone OC's a little differently and every part has its own limits. I've also read that most people feel you can get the 920 up to 3.2ghz without even messing with voltages. Is this true? Will it hurt my proc if its not enough power?

If this is possible, is it a simple matter of dropping my memory frequency a bit and upping my bclk to 160?

I cracked open that sticky OC tutorial, but shut it immediately when I saw that it was a mile and a half long. I might have ADHD.

If you're bored and wouldnt mind, would anyone whip up an easy step-by-step checklist on a simple 3.2ghz OC for my 920?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
My i7 920 can do Auto vcore voltage at 3.6ghz. The only catch is it needs +100mV to CPU VTT and +.01v to QPI PLL voltage.

3.2ghz is right around the point where I needed to add CPU VTT voltage. You may get lucky and not need any. First lower your memory from multiplier from 8 to 6, then give it a try.

Good luck.