Cross-platform question

denton

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
I have 30 years of medium format negs (2-1/4" x 2-3/4"). They're too big for almost all film scanners and too small for most flatbed scanners. But lucky me, I have a friend in Argentina with a super-expensive Imacon scanner (made by Hasselblad). Because he owes me a lot of favors, he's agreed to scan all my negs for me. Each scan will be approx 400mb.

The plan is for me to send him down a coupla 1tb external drives to put the scans on.

Here's our quandary: He's on a mac, I'm on a PC. If he formats the drive as a mac, will I be able to read the drive and access these files on a PC?

If I remember correctly, I believe there is an option in the MAC OS (I'm thinking the newer version) where he should be able to select either NTFS or FAT (not sure which one or it could be both). I recall partitioning a drive for a friend once in MAC OS and there was an option for NTFS. Either that or you could format the drives beforehand and the MAC should be able to read it.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
format them fat32 before sending the drives.

as long as no files are over 4GB this will work fine.

as far as I know the basic mac os can read NTFS but cant write to it without additional software.

Note: I'm not a mac person.