Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8800gts, loud buzz and shutdown.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 12, 2008 10:27:17 AM

Looking for a bit of advice.

I just upgraded my pc today with an MSI 8800gts oc and 2gb of crucial ballistix ram.
I have a Corsair 520w modular supply, a core2 duo E6750@2.8ghz and an Antec 900 case with top notch cooling.
I installed everything and played COD4 for about 15 mins when a heard a sudden and loud Buzzing noise from the pc.
It went to the blue screen error 'Windows has shut down blah blah..to avoid damage...etc..'.

Everything is connected correctly, its not heat and the power supply should be up to the task.

Any ideas??
July 12, 2008 2:17:58 PM

Have you cleared cmos and loaded bios defaults?

Have to ask. Is this windows legit?
July 12, 2008 2:32:46 PM

akhilles said:
Have you cleared cmos and loaded bios defaults?

Have to ask. Is this windows legit?


nothing at all to do with his prob !

OP, check to make sure your fan is still spinning on yor cpu cooler and card and that nothings touching them.
Related resources
July 12, 2008 2:44:50 PM

Yeah no idea why akhilles would suggest windows as the problem. I had that a bit back from a sound card conflict but If it's been fine before then that would seem less likely. Odd one though as blue screens are more usually conflict errors or ram errors.
July 12, 2008 2:48:21 PM

Something is shorting out somewhere. Could be the card, could be motherboard, could be psu. :p 
July 12, 2008 2:51:02 PM

Loud buzzing is caused by many things, all power related. However, you need to be more specifc about the sound to be sure of the diagnosis. Is it a loud buzz, a low buzz, high frequency, low frequency, when does it shut off? Does it change pitch, etc.

Modular PSUs are famous for the trouble you describe.
July 12, 2008 2:55:35 PM

bf2gameplaya said:
Loud buzzing is caused by many things, all power related. However, you need to be more specifc about the sound to be sure of the diagnosis. Is it a loud buzz, a low buzz, high frequency, low frequency, when does it shut off? Does it change pitch, etc.

Modular PSUs are famous for the trouble you describe.

Yep, check power connectors to see if they're tight. Arcing may produce heat and shock your system with fluctuations.
July 12, 2008 3:02:24 PM

dagger said:
Yep, check power connectors to see if they're tight. Arcing may produce heat and shock your system with fluctuations.


then he should leave it because the arcing could help with the ozone layer, his computer would be greener then.
July 18, 2008 11:58:32 AM

Thanks guys.
Its a genuine copy of XP.
I ended up having to reinstall windows and I reset the bios to its default settings.
XP kept hanging during installation, so I replaced the 8800 with my old card, still hung, so I replaced the ram with my old units. Sucess!!

I have now installed the gts and everything is running fine under windows. I am going to install some games and stress test the rig before I try the ballistix ram again.
!