Sign in with
Your question

Ad hoc is supported in 802.11n ?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 26, 2009 10:08:34 AM

Hi!

I googled, asked on other forums, but received no answer. As if it were is some military secret...

Does the recent WLAN stanbard 802.11N support ad-hoc networks ?

Can anyone with the equipment please try ?
(I have none, yet)

Thanks,
David

More about : hoc supported 802 11n

August 6, 2009 2:45:40 AM

Hi David,

I tried to establish a peer 2 peer ad hoc network over a 802.11n network with two Linksys RangePlus Wireless-N USB adapters, but can only get up to 54Mbps speed which is a G speed.

So.. I am not trying to give you a definite answer whether N supports ad hoc mode since N is backwards compatible with G. Still working on figuring it out and will let you know.

Ran
August 6, 2009 9:34:05 AM

Hmm, it was the same when G appeared. Ad-hoc would work only at B speeds.
It seems they "forgot" to update the ad-hoc part of the standard and 54Mbps speeds were introduced later, "non-standard". History is repeating itself, it seems.

Why sell two adapters, when you can sell two and an AP ? ;) 
Related resources
August 6, 2009 5:40:27 PM

Well I think I could achieve G speed on a G ad hoc network setting. So I wonder why N can not. I talked to the linksys tech support yesterday, and they suggest me to look at the options in the hardware properties. I did find a "ad hoc 802.11n support" option in the properties which was set as disabled. I might try enable that at both end and see if I could get the N speed.
August 6, 2009 7:37:37 PM

I've got an N ad hoc working. Just as I mentioned above, found a "ad hoc 802.11n support" option in the hardware properties dialogue, and enable that option. Note that I am using a Linksys Rangeplus Wireless-N USB apdater v2.0. That option might not appear on other models or makes.
August 6, 2009 9:32:47 PM

And you are achieving N speeds ?
Great!

I just read an article and it says that ad-hoc (and WDS) is not fully defined in the standard, so manufacturers have to "make up" the missing parts. That explains, why this is an extra option (similar as it was an extra option on G devices when they were new).

Thanks for the infos!
August 7, 2009 6:03:04 AM

Yeah, I had three nodes running on N speed, kinda of, 130Mbps, LoS distance between two went up to 800ft before the throughput went too low. I'd like to see the article you read, interesting.. Could you post the link here?

Also, one thing that bothers me is that I thought the traffic would go through some intermediate nodes if there is no direct LoS between the source and destination nodes. I tested with 3 nodes - one source, one intermediate and one destination. I put the source and destination in non-LoS, and each with LoS with the intermediate node. But still, can't establish a good link between the source and destination. In the academia, ad hoc network should work in a multi-hop, each-node-is-a-router basis. But not sure why it wasn't working here. Any idea?
!