Microsoft Management console Snap in failed to initialize.

August 21, 2005 9:14:01 PM

I first of all forgot how to get to the group policy editor. But When I go to
control panel, administrative tools, Group policy management. I get this
error that the snap in has failed and a CLSID with a string of numbers. WHat
gives. Does anyone know how to get to group policy editor via Run box,and do
you know how to fix the group policy management snap in. Is this not some
kind of enviormental variant.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:19:44 PM

Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
Management Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297064

"Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft
Management Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;826282

You receive a “Cannot open <Snap-in Name>” error message when you try to
start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326574

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:8D913D79-9CC9-4BB4-9096-3518985F7CFE@microsoft.com,
mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I first of all forgot how to get to the group policy editor. But When I
> go to control panel, administrative tools, Group policy management. I get
> this error that the snap in has failed and a CLSID with a string of
> numbers. WHat gives. Does anyone know how to get to group policy editor
> via Run box,and do you know how to fix the group policy management snap
> in. Is this not some kind of enviormental variant.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:19:45 PM

No, it did not fix the problem. I dont know what is wrong with this thing.
But I cant get it to open. Do you have any more Ideas that I might try.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Error Message "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" When You Use Microsoft
> Management Console
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297064
>
> "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft
> Management Console
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;826282
>
> You receive a “Cannot open <Snap-in Name>� error message when you try to
> start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326574
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:8D913D79-9CC9-4BB4-9096-3518985F7CFE@microsoft.com,
> mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I first of all forgot how to get to the group policy editor. But When I
> > go to control panel, administrative tools, Group policy management. I get
> > this error that the snap in has failed and a CLSID with a string of
> > numbers. WHat gives. Does anyone know how to get to group policy editor
> > via Run box,and do you know how to fix the group policy management snap
> > in. Is this not some kind of enviormental variant.

August 22, 2005 12:27:34 AM

Hi,

gpedit.msc will start the group policy editor.

See also:
http://www.google.com/search?q="snap+in+failed+to+initialize"

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I first of all forgot how to get to the group policy editor. But When I go
> control panel, administrative tools, Group policy management. I get this
> error that the snap in has failed and a CLSID with a string of numbers.
> WHat
> gives. Does anyone know how to get to group policy editor via Run box,and
> do
> you know how to fix the group policy management snap in. Is this not some
> kind of enviormental variant.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:27:35 AM

The MMC still gives me the same error. I still cant get into the group policy
editor or MMC. I tried yours and wesleys Ideas. any more help would be much
appreciated.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> gpedit.msc will start the group policy editor.
>
> See also:
> http://www.google.com/search?q="snap+in+failed+to+initialize"
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I first of all forgot how to get to the group policy editor. But When I go
> > control panel, administrative tools, Group policy management. I get this
> > error that the snap in has failed and a CLSID with a string of numbers.
> > WHat
> > gives. Does anyone know how to get to group policy editor via Run box,and
> > do
> > you know how to fix the group policy management snap in. Is this not some
> > kind of enviormental variant.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:27:36 AM

Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK:
%SystemRoot%\system32\gpedit.msc

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:72ED31B4-6BCE-45E8-847A-8CE203D9D122@microsoft.com,
mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> The MMC still gives me the same error. I still cant get into the group
> policy editor or MMC. I tried yours and wesleys Ideas. any more help
> would be much appreciated.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> gpedit.msc will start the group policy editor.
>>
>> See also:
>> http://www.google.com/search?q="snap+in+failed+to+initialize"
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I first of all forgot how to get to the group policy editor. But When I
>>> go to
>>> control panel, administrative tools, Group policy management. I get this
>>> error that the snap in has failed and a CLSID with a string of numbers.
>>> WHat
>>> gives. Does anyone know how to get to group policy editor via Run
>>> box,and do
>>> you know how to fix the group policy management snap in. Is this not
>>> some kind of enviormental variant.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:27:37 AM

yes this does bring up the group policy editor. But it does not fix the
issue. Meaning when I go to the MMC via the admistrative tools I still get
the snap in failed issue. You as an MVP know work arounds are great but we
like our machines to work the way they are supposed to. I also did like rick
said with the cmd prompt. and then type PATH here are the results Microsoft
Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew>PATH
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\gpedit.msc
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:72ED31B4-6BCE-45E8-847A-8CE203D9D122@microsoft.com,
> mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > The MMC still gives me the same error. I still cant get into the group
> > policy editor or MMC. I tried yours and wesleys Ideas. any more help
> > would be much appreciated.
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> gpedit.msc will start the group policy editor.
> >>
> >> See also:
> >> http://www.google.com/search?q="snap+in+failed+to+initialize"
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:38:21 AM

Please confine responses to the thread and do not start new ones.

Start/run cmd, then type PATH from the prompt. Copy/paste the results into a
reply using the mark/copy options when you right click the cmd window header
bar.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The MMC still gives me the same error. I still cant get into the group
> policy
> editor or MMC. I tried yours and wesleys Ideas. any more help would be
> much
> appreciated.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> gpedit.msc will start the group policy editor.
>>
>> See also:
>> http://www.google.com/search?q="snap+in+failed+to+initialize"
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I first of all forgot how to get to the group policy editor. But When I
>> >go
>> > control panel, administrative tools, Group policy management. I get
>> > this
>> > error that the snap in has failed and a CLSID with a string of numbers.
>> > WHat
>> > gives. Does anyone know how to get to group policy editor via Run
>> > box,and
>> > do
>> > you know how to fix the group policy management snap in. Is this not
>> > some
>> > kind of enviormental variant.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:28:48 AM

You are running WinXP Pro, yes?

--

> yes this does bring up the group policy editor. But it does not fix the
> issue. Meaning when I go to the MMC via the admistrative tools I still get
> the snap in failed issue. You as an MVP know work arounds are great but we
> like our machines to work the way they are supposed to. I also did like
> rick
> said with the cmd prompt. and then type PATH here are the results
> Microsoft
> Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew>PATH
> PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew>
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK:
>> %SystemRoot%\system32\gpedit.msc
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:72ED31B4-6BCE-45E8-847A-8CE203D9D122@microsoft.com,
>> mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> > The MMC still gives me the same error. I still cant get into the group
>> > policy editor or MMC. I tried yours and wesleys Ideas. any more help
>> > would be much appreciated.

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 4:59:01 AM

Yes rick im running windows Xp pro. You also respoded to my other post where
I could not get the display properties tabs to appear when I right clicked on
the desktop and selected properties. Another MVP's advice brought them back
and man I tried Kellys ideas and a whole load of others here is what finally
brought the tabs back. regsvr32 themeui
regsvr32 /ishell32

I still get the snap in failed when I go to admin tools and click on the
Group policy management Icon. Wonder why. any idea.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> You are running WinXP Pro, yes?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yes this does bring up the group policy editor. But it does not fix the
> > issue. Meaning when I go to the MMC via the admistrative tools I still get
> > the snap in failed issue. You as an MVP know work arounds are great but we
> > like our machines to work the way they are supposed to. I also did like
> > rick
> > said with the cmd prompt. and then type PATH here are the results
> > Microsoft
> > Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew>PATH
> > PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew>
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Start | Run | Paste this in the box and click OK:
> >> %SystemRoot%\system32\gpedit.msc
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:72ED31B4-6BCE-45E8-847A-8CE203D9D122@microsoft.com,
> >> mstout2001 <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

May 22, 2010 6:18:24 PM

I have been experiencing the same problem on a computer for one of my clients. So far I have determined that the mmc is corrupted. Both the gpedit.msc and the navigation will fail if the mmc is corrupt because both methods use mmc pointers. If the pointers are pointing to a corrupt file, or a file that is empty then the processing will abort.

Option 1

1. Press Start
3. Select all files in the left pane
4. Search for mmc
5. Select an mmc.exe file.

If the mmc is corrupt the computer will not be able to open the management window. It will give you an error letting you know that mmc is corrupted or files are missing.

Option 2

The string of numbers following the message is the registry number that contains the file that is causing the problem. To view the register.

***Before doing this be sure that you are very careful not to alter anything in the Registry Editor. Only use it to view files and there physical location. To test the program or file in the register navigate to the actual location of the program or file. Altering these registries can severely effect the operation of your computer.***

1. In the run box type "regedit.exe"
2. Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
3. Expand CLSID
4. Expand the file indicated by the string of numbers from the error message (this is a huge pain)

The folder is the root cause of your problem. In mine it's InProcServer32.

This is all I have so far. Basically I need to reinstall mmc version 3.0, but still researching the best way to do this. Microsoft does have a hotfix for this problem, but I only use those as a last resort because they can cause more problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957502

Hope this helps.
!