Cooler Master V10 vs Ultra ChillTEC vs

horatio b

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Both the Cooler Master V10 and the Ultra ChillTEC are Thermal Electric. I have the Core i7 920. I have searched everywhere for a review of them both and there appears to be none thus this thread was born. Is there anyone with personal experience as to which cooler is better?

horatio b

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
WoW this thread dies quickly... But Heck... I appreciate your honesty. So any tips on adapting my ChillTEC to take advantage of water cooling. Also, is a water coolerd TEC more advantageous than just plain old water cooling?

The reason why you need WC for TEC:

First, you need to understand how a TEC works. Basically, a TEC gets very cold on one side and very hot on the other side. After you hit 45-60W QMax or so on a TEC air cooling in not good enough, hence the need for cooling the hot side of a TEC with water cooling. Manufactures try to compensate for this by using heat pipes attached to the TEC then to fins (kind of liike a rad on a WC set up) to dissipate heat, but that's not very effective any ways.

I see no possible way of modding your ChillTEC. If you had asked before buying, we (probably Conumdrum,rubix,wuzy, or me) would have told you to get a water cooling system for about $50-100 more.

For more info on how a TEC works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

horatio b

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Thank you for your quick response. I completely understand how a Peltier(TEC) works. I'm not a complete noob ;-) I also plan on going water cooling in the very immediate future. I actually went to a junkyard and picked up a mopar tranny oil cooler which I plan on using for the radiator and I also have 2 pairs of delta fans I plan on using one of the pair to cool the radiator. I will post pics when I'm done.... by the way is posting pics in threads legal?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Just FYI, you won't get the cooling out of a transmission cooler as you would a radiator with narrower cooling channels. Most automotive oil/trans coolers are designed for higher flow and higher pressure than a WC system provides so you might be better off with a heatercore with higher flow (if you are wanting to go cheap). You still have to mod these parts to be used with PC WC'ing so just understand that your time might be worth more than the cost to pay a little more and get dedicated gear. Also...I would be cautious using something that once contained automotive fluids like transmission fluid or any oils. Even residue can severely degrade the plastic/rubber components in the seals, fittings and impellers of a PC WC system.

horatio b

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Yeah you are right! I cleaned it for like 20 times with dish washing liquid. then soaked it in a tub of rubbing alcohol for like two weeks straiight (chaning the alcohol every 3-4 days or so.... but I will be getting a heater core..... also, I have it, mixed with Thermaltake Bigwater 760is. I also modified the water block it came with to fit the i7. Reason being is the Thermaltake was given to me...