Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 related SSD/ 32/64 bit questions

Last response: in Storage
October 22, 2009 9:52:12 PM

Hello, I recently purchased an intel x25m g2 SSD as well as windows 7, and I have a few questions.

1. I am aware of the trim feature, but has intel released firmware yet to support it? If not, when I eventually update the firmware will it require me to wipe the drive and reinstall everything?

2. I purchased the 64 bit version of 7, however some programs I want to run require the 32 bit version. I have previously helped a friend with a 32bit key who lost his disc by letting him use mine and it installed a 64 bit version for him. Using that information I assume that I could download a 32 bit version of Windows and use the same key. Is it possible to use the same key on the same computer for two different versions (32 bit and 64 bit)? If yes, is it legal?
a b G Storage
October 22, 2009 10:16:06 PM

1. I can't speak for the intel drives but my patriot torqxs have a program that will perform a trim everytime it's run. This is for vista and older machines that don't support trim natively like windows 7. It does not delete the data. Also updating the firmware didn't erase my data.

2. It is possible. However I think when you activate the 32bit install the 64bit install will become invalid. It is legal, as your using one key per machine but to the best of my knowledge MS hasn't made it possible. You won't be breaking any laws go ahead and try and let us know what happens.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
October 23, 2009 5:48:56 AM

lylerk said:
Is it possible to use the same key on the same computer for two different versions (32 bit and 64 bit)?
My guess would be no. Are you sure you need the 32-bit version? The 64-bit version of Windows 7 can run 32-bit programs just fine.
!