NV give SLI to Intel for QPI license

G

yeah... I guess it was the expected out come... because nvidia couldn't afford not to support nehalem

intel could afford to not support nvidia...

lol intel = pwnage right now

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
This is a good move but at the same time its also a shot in the foot. Nvidia has now successfully made Nvidia chipsets completely worthless. The only people foolish enough to buy Nvidia chipsets are the ones that want to run SLi

Well, if the SLI license is X58 only, they could still make some lower end SLI enabled motherboards. You're right about their high end chipsets though - those are out the window.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Or they can just make a well performing chipset against the x58. But yeah, what's the chance of that happening? :na:

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

So you can use your existing rig? Then how will they make you buy a new one? :na:

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

I'd buy a new one anyway its just the added cost, if intel had held out nvidia would have capitulated in the end and it would have been better for us all not just cost but moved us closer to a duel card standard

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

"But even they give permit, it doesnt means you can see lots of SLI enable X58 everywhere after Q4. First of all, the chip BR04 is as expansive as $30 USD, and secondly a reference X58 can not add BR-04 by not changing the PCB layout, that means if a mobo maker wants to make SLI and non-SLI X58, they need two different PCB layouts. All these just keep the mobo production cost rising, so we can expect second tier mobo maker may not going for SLI enable X58."

As the quote states, its unlikely that BR04 added x58 boards are going to be the norm - this seems like a lot better deal for Nvidia than Intel. It also seems likely that while Intel could design an SLI enabled x58 reference board, they could also just leave that headache to the manufacturers, which implies any SLI x58 could be a flop..

Well anyways, time will tell on this i'm sure - but I think if Nvidia releases another motherboard with as many problems as the 790I at launch then they'll have to get their heads examined because that particular launch hurt their credibility quite a bit.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I own an evga 750i and I really have no complaints.

I also own an Nforce2 K7N2 delta MSI board from 2003 that is still running rock solid after 5 years :p - actually other than the retarded bios safe mode I had no complaints about that board either hehe

But i'll agree to this much, there are a lot of lemons in motherboard chipsets from Nvidia - its sad but true - and like AMD really needed a gpu (and now cpu) to get back on top of the game, Nvidia desperately needs to rethink their chipset strategy (hello fried laptops!)

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I built my wifes PC with an MSI 750i about a month ago. I put that board in there because of X38's were too much and the P35's were about to be replaced and lacked PCIe 2.0, and she needed something then below X amount of money and would be somewhat upgradeable in the future (hince needing pcie2.0).

I had to get a IDE drive because my SATA dvd drive would cause bluescreens during windows install due to the lack of nvidia mediashield, and even with a dedicated sound card there is still a blast of static from the speakers when windows is booting, its there with the intergrated sound also and with 2 different sets of speakers so its definetly the board. Also of course the infamous and STILL not fixed Nvidia video corruption "bug". She dosent get it in movies but she has gotten it in EQ2 and a similar issue in AoC.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
nvidia is saving what they can - at this point Nvidia stupidity not to licence SLI since X975 in 04 is coming to haunt them big time! the rooster has come to roost!

ATI has the better gpu! its better per dollar and more flexible with dual set up and quad is better
Intel has far better chipsets for reliability! nvidia burns up ram and nb runs so hot they fail

Nvidia has no nehalem and if they do not licence SLI they have a big hit in gpu's

Nvidia is getting what they deserve, maybe intel will not even use SLI! haha nvidia!

Nvidia has all kinds of warranty issues? they are not saying what they are - the rumor is its note book graphics. I think its burnt up 8800's, 680i's and 700's

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

typical nvidia failure - its not just nb and memory

its sb and raid too!

the mobos have very high failure rate

correct again - the nb issues. memory problems are huge - burning up ddr2 over 2.1v - at 2.2-2.3v the memory lasts 3-6 months at 2.4v even with good cooling it last's only weeks

Plain Old Me

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Maybe nVidia will come out with a good mobo... Perhaps they could do something like more PCIe slots than Intel for bigger SLI stacks. Who knows? Intel's new mobos are less than overwhelming in performance, but maybe they are just concentrating on the new platform.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Compared to nvidia chipsets, they're pretty overwhelming... :p

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

Considering current boards have 3 and 4 slots, and Tri/Quad SLI is completely pointless and worthless and dosent work worth a damn, I dont see this happening.