Sign in with
Your question

Installing Windows 7, should I replace my HD?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
  • SCSI
  • Computer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 22, 2009 11:41:59 PM

I have an HP xw6200 with (3) 146GB Ultra-wide SCSI hard drives. The computer is about 5 years old and has always been very reliable but I've just ordered Windows 7 and wondering if I should take this opportunity to replace my hard drive? This computer has basically been on 24/7 for over 5 years and I'm wondering if I've been pushing my luck on the hard drives.

If I do decide to replace my hard drive, would it be a better idea to go with SATA drives instead of SCSI? The computer has SATA drive support as well and it seems like these days the performance benefit to the SCSI drives is minimal, if at all? I can get a 2TB SATA for under $200, which is incredible to me. Many thanks for the help.

More about : installing windows replace

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
October 23, 2009 12:02:43 AM

I'm not sure of the gains of SATA I over SCSI, but I'm sure it'll give you some benefits. Does the MOBO have SATA ports, just to be sure? If so, you might as well. Create a few partitions maybe for back up in case of an OS issue in the future or maybe grab two smaller drivers, i.e. one for backup and one for the OS, apps, etc...
m
l
October 23, 2009 5:36:39 PM

buwish said:
I'm not sure of the gains of SATA I over SCSI, but I'm sure it'll give you some benefits. Does the MOBO have SATA ports, just to be sure? If so, you might as well. Create a few partitions maybe for back up in case of an OS issue in the future or maybe grab two smaller drivers, i.e. one for backup and one for the OS, apps, etc...

Do you think it's a good idea to replace the SCSI drives even if they appear to be fine? I hate to fix something that isn't broken but just seems like they've been working so long they can't have much time left! :) 
m
l
Related resources
!