8800 gts 640 low fps performance

Bigzer

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
Hi

I'm trying to run Company of Heroes with everything maxed but it lags

I just upgraded to vista and was looking forward to run Company of Heroes with directx 10 :-(

here is my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-p35-ds3r
CPU: Intel core 2 quad
Graphic: Inno3d 8800 gts 640 mb
Ram: 4 gb corsair dominater
Audio: x-fi extreme music

what is wrong? even tested my computers setup at nvidias "can you run it" and it was way better then optimal marker it hited the roof....so it beats my I don't run it?

Plz help :)

G

I also have a 8800 gts 640... and it completely owns... but it still can't play some games max... for one... the can u run it sucks... it says I can play crysis at max... WHICH I CANT... so don't believe that

what i'm pissed about is I had my gpu stable at core:shader:memory @ 650/1700/1000

and now its not stable UNLESS its @ default settings... so from that alone I lose 30 % in almost every single game... so i'm pretty ticked off about that... cause if it was heat related... I should beable to just oc it a lil less... but it idles @ 52.... and loads at like 65... so its not heat related in my opinion...

I don't know what to do... the 8800 gts 640 plays most games max... but not all... and I think company of heroes is one of them... and thats w/o direct x 10... adding that it just makes it even harder for the old 8800 gts 640

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well, the early GTS (320mb, 640mb) really arent that great. I mean its a fine card but the G92 cards slay it. However Company of Heroes isnt all that new, but then again you are trying to run it in DX10 at max, and I dont see the G80 GTS capable of that, not even a G92. Early DX10 games have horrible optimization, ill blame it on the software before I blame it on the card.

Bigzer

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
but i read in another forum about a guys with 8800 gts and almost the same setup as me running it with everything maxed and he had no problem....he had some with wow but that's another story :)

You should be able to run DX9 maxed (my old 8600 GT can, running on a Pentium D...), but don't expect much DX10 preformance out of that card. IF you want good DX10 preformance, spend the extra $100 and SLI two of them together.

gamecrazychris

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Don't feel to bad I only get around 60fps with my GTX 280 in DX10 at 1680x1050, try turning down a few settings, it looks great either way

(last time I played it on my old computer with a 7800GTX then seeing it totally maxed out I wasn't nearly as blown away as I was with other games.)

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
my average is 68fps max145 and min30. These are with my setup running the game on max with 16x10res and 4x AA 8x AF.

EDIT: Dx9 though ^.^

Vista, from my experience, runs games a little slower than XP. Simply because Vista eats up more resources.

I ran Company of Heroes with my setup (below in signature) without a problem. Far as I recall, it's all maxed. Not sure if I played it DX9 or DX10 honestly. And at that time I only had 2GB of RAM, where as I now have 4GB.

Here's the reality. Vista and DX10 both eat resources. Although the 8800GTS (G80) is a decent card, DX10 simply takes a lot of resources. All the current titles that truly run DX10 tax all the video cards.

So if you're running an avg of 23FPS @ max everything on DX10 I'd say you're doing just right.

AA = Anti-Aliasing

It makes the edges of objects appear more smooth, thus creating a "sharper" image. It taxes the video card more than most things I think. Though that is affected by driver versions and stuff too.

I usually find that in most games I can reduce "Shadows" and get decent FPS gains, without really losing much in the way of overall graphical splendor.

I'm at work, so I can't look at the CoH settings options. But, if there's options for how long dead bodies show, or how many, you can usually reduce those and save a little bit.

Try reducing Shadows if possible, and perhaps reduce AA to a lower number. You'll notice decent FPS gains I'd guess.

Bigzer

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
ok thanks alot I'll try adjusting my settings :) but can i also adjust something in vista to help? I've turned off the sidebar and set it to "adjust for best performance" but are there some adjustments in vista that can help on my fps in the game

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
If i remember correctly, DX10 in COH is insanely costly fps wise, with actually very little difference in IQ (as in my 8600 gts used to get 4 fps in the performance test :D)

Settings in Vista itself probably won't affect things much. Far as I know, but I'm kinda new to Vista myself. What can help though is turning off as much background stuff as you can. So, if you've got Quickbooks or some other useless program that's loaded into memory in the backyard (or in your taskbar) shut it down.

Overclocking can help, but probably not by any "substantial" margins.

Let's say overclocking your video card yields a 15% increase in FPS (this is an example only). You'd go from an average of 23FPS to 26.45FPS (23*1.15=26.45) So unless you can pull off a huge OC, you probably won't see a large increase. That won't even necessarily give you a 3FPS increase in every game either.

Overclocking shouldn't hurt your performance, but you'll probably not see anything huge for results. Your best bet to increase performance is either A) Upgrade video card, or B) reduce graphic settings in the game.