build now or wait for nehalem

revstar20

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
Hi guys im new to forum but i have been following this site for years it always has valuable information.
I need your help its to hard to decide wheather or not to build a new pc now or hold off till the end of
the year and build a pc using a nehalem cpu.Intel will be releasing this baby at the end of the year more
than likely next year and it will be most likely be an extreme edition costing around $1300.00 aussie dollar
which i will not be able to afford. Im no expert when it comes to computers but the end of intels fsb is
5 years overdue and will make a huge difference to overall system performance we will be able to take
advantage of dd3.Am i right in saying current cpu's and mobo's are not taking advantage of high end ddr3 because
fsb is not high high enough unless fsb is overclocked to take advantage of the of higher data transfer rates
which just adds another question do i get a ddr3 board( which will have no support for nehalem cpu's) with
dd3 memory and cpu with 1333 bus speed or higher.

Current system:
operating system: Windows vista Ultimate
Cpu: Intel pentium d 940 not a great cpu but works well with vista
Mobo: GA-81945GMF does the job lol
Graphics: xfx 8600gts

pc i wish to build:
Operating system: Windows vista ultimate
Cpu: intel quad core Q9450 or Q9300
mobo: Asus P5e3- deluxe dd3 motherboard
Graphics: xfx gtx260 a little over my budget reveiws are not that good will do more reading
ram: corsair 1333mhz 2gig
case: coolmaster cosmos
power supply: undecided
hardrive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ i alway get a bad hardrive this 1 is from a article on this site

any sugestions would be appreciated

BadMannerKorea

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
buy new pc dude. when neha comes out it will be expensive. so youre looking at a big time gap from now, the time its relased and the price drops.

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006

There's always going to be something better coming out every 6-12 months. Don't worry about it. Build now and there's still no need to build a new pc every year. If you're big into building PCs, do it every 2 years. Every year is a waste of your money.

alfrido

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
You can wait if you prefer but nehalem will be out in a very long while so you can save up some money cus its going to be hell of allot expensive.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

True that. Go ahead and figure on spending $3000 on a Nehalem system. They will be out in 4Q 08.

Misocainea

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
It depends on how often you build new PCs, if you build every couple of years you should be ok to build now. If you build every 4 or 5 years I would wait for Nehalem to come out and mature a bit. The reason is that I wouldn't want to build on a mobo with a CPU socket that is on its way out. I like having the option to upgrade. This may or may not be right for you however.

eofu

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
All I say is only go DDR3 when you buy Nehalem. Let others be the beta tester for DDR3 and save your money on the low benefit/ high cost ram.

Other then that go ahead and build if you can.