Sign in with
Your question

GFX card not working.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2008 11:52:50 PM

Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum but I am new here. So I installed Vista and when I updated to SP1 after the restart my display was gone. The on-board was enabled. I took out the card and put it back it and selected PCI-E in bios and still nothing happened. I reset the CMOS, I uninstalled/ reinstalled thousands of beta and WHQL drivers. I diabled my onboard GFX card. The card is working I tested it on my other computer. I am out of all ideas. I have no idea what to do, seems like everything I try, it failed. I even reinstalled Vista, and now im back on XP Media Center Edition 2005 and still it wont detect the card. :cry:  :pfff:  :fou:  :cry:  My set up is:

-AMD Athlon X2 3800+(939)
- 1 GB of RAM
- 680 Watt PSU
-Asus A8N-LA Motherboard
- 250GB HDD
- 2 X 20x DVD Writers.

Any ideas or thoughts or help will be much appreciated.

More about : gfx card working

July 12, 2008 11:57:12 PM

O btw the card that is not showing a display is a EVGA 8600GT
Related resources
July 13, 2008 12:14:33 AM

Tried it didnt work, is it weird that when I install the card and I turn the PC on, the card's fan speeds up then goes to normal speed? It does this 10 times before I can see my BIOS screen using my on-board pot.
July 13, 2008 12:24:59 AM

Shehroz said:
Tried it didnt work, is it weird that when I install the card and I turn the PC on, the card's fan speeds up then goes to normal speed? It does this 10 times before I can see my BIOS screen using my on-board pot.

It's normal for gpu fan to run at 100% as you boot up. Although it should go down right away as the system post.
July 13, 2008 3:19:45 PM

You def need to boot up in safe mode and Use a driver cleaner program and then install the driver you need. If this doesnt fix the issue then recheck bios settings and make sure onboard GFX is off.
Will it boot up and work using onboard graphics only without card in the PCI slot? You might be able to trouble shoot drivers and settings using onboard GFX and sort out your problems. Also you will want to make sure your using vista drivers and bios updates for your MOBO using Vista drivers if they are different, you can find them on the perspective manufactueres websites
July 13, 2008 7:19:26 PM

Ok I will try the safe mode option, and yes on-board works when the PCI is enable in BIOS. I have no clue to why that is.
July 13, 2008 7:21:37 PM

Make sure the onboard is disabled in the BIOS when you are using the 8600.
July 13, 2008 7:36:18 PM

How do I disable on-board? Via Device manager? B/c all I can do in BIOS is set my default video adapter to PCI-E.
July 13, 2008 7:50:30 PM

Set the default to PCIe yes, but there should be an option in the BIOS to disable the onboard video. It should be under Onboard Devices or something similar named, depending on the maker its different but you get the point. The option itself might say Onboard Video or onboard VGA yadda yadda
July 13, 2008 8:00:26 PM

Ill look into the BIOS, but as I can tell it's a HP BIOS so idk if they will let me change that option, none the less I will try anyways.
July 13, 2008 10:41:54 PM

thanks guys for the help but nothing worked. I am clue less, thanks again though guys.
!