MP3 on Tungsten E

October 14, 2004 2:58:07 PM

Hi group,

I am gearing up for my first handheld and lean
towards a Tungsten E.

On reading reviews for it I come across several
comments saying that you need to aquire a SD card
(term?), to be able to play MP3's on it.

But I have not understood if that simply means
you need more than the standard memory to
install a software player, or if it means that you
have to buy a hardware device, in the shape of
a SD card, that in itself *is* the player.

Lars
Stockholm

More about : mp3 tungsten

October 14, 2004 3:32:26 PM

The player itself installs into the memory of your Palm. You will need a SD
card to copy the mp3 files to (thought the Palm or a SD card reader/writer.
Lucky for us they are getting cheaper and cheaper: I saw a 1-GB one here in
Holland for ? 65.-!

Hans
<lars@fake.com> schreef in bericht
Hi group,

I am gearing up for my first handheld and lean
towards a Tungsten E.

On reading reviews for it I come across several
comments saying that you need to aquire a SD card
(term?), to be able to play MP3's on it.

But I have not understood if that simply means
you need more than the standard memory to
install a software player, or if it means that you
have to buy a hardware device, in the shape of
a SD card, that in itself *is* the player.

Lars
Stockholm
October 14, 2004 6:51:53 PM

<lars@fake.com> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I am gearing up for my first handheld and lean
> towards a Tungsten E.
>
> On reading reviews for it I come across several
> comments saying that you need to aquire a SD card
> (term?), to be able to play MP3's on it.
>
> But I have not understood if that simply means
> you need more than the standard memory to
> install a software player, or if it means that you
> have to buy a hardware device, in the shape of
> a SD card, that in itself *is* the player.
>

> Lars
> Stockholm

The available MP3 player programs all expect to find the mp3 files on an SD
card on a T|E. Get the biggest card you can afford- watch for sales. For
example, I can get a 512mb at Staples (office supply store) for U.S. $35
after rebate until the end of October.

There are three MP3 players available. RealPlayer comes for free with the
T|E. It is good, but not great. There are two others available, AeroPlayer
and PocketTunes. I used to be an AeroPlayer fan, but IMO PocketTunes has far
surpassed it in almost every way. They both cost around U.S. $15-$25, but
they will both play another file format, Ogg-Vorbis, for free. The catch is
you need a ripping program that will convert to Ogg. I use FreeRip
(shareware, but free if you want). If you do this, you will also need a card
reader, as that is the only viable way of getting these files onto the card.
These are often on sale. You shouldn't have to pay more than U.S. $5.00. You
can sometimes find them for free after rebate.

The RealPlayer software that comes with the T|E will transfer MP3 files
efficiently without a card reader directly to the T|E via the sync cable. I
think the latest Windows Media Plyer will also do this if you install the
necessary plug-ins.

The advantage of using OGG over MP3 is that the sound quality is better for
the same file size as in MP3. This translates to making smaller files that
sound better, which translates to getting about 33% more music on you card
with OGG than with MP3, and it sounds better.

HTH
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 11:48:54 AM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:51:53 -0400, "Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote:

><lars@fake.com> wrote in message
>> Hi group,
>>
>> I am gearing up for my first handheld and lean
>> towards a Tungsten E.
>>
>> On reading reviews for it I come across several
>> comments saying that you need to aquire a SD card
>> (term?), to be able to play MP3's on it.
>>
>> But I have not understood if that simply means
>> you need more than the standard memory to
>> install a software player, or if it means that you
>> have to buy a hardware device, in the shape of
>> a SD card, that in itself *is* the player.
>>

>> Lars
>> Stockholm
>
>The available MP3 player programs all expect to find the mp3 files on an SD
>card on a T|E. Get the biggest card you can afford- watch for sales. For
>example, I can get a 512mb at Staples (office supply store) for U.S. $35
>after rebate until the end of October.
>
>There are three MP3 players available. RealPlayer comes for free with the
>T|E. It is good, but not great. There are two others available, AeroPlayer
>and PocketTunes. I used to be an AeroPlayer fan, but IMO PocketTunes has far
>surpassed it in almost every way. They both cost around U.S. $15-$25, but
>they will both play another file format, Ogg-Vorbis, for free. The catch is
>you need a ripping program that will convert to Ogg. I use FreeRip
>(shareware, but free if you want). If you do this, you will also need a card
>reader, as that is the only viable way of getting these files onto the card.
>These are often on sale. You shouldn't have to pay more than U.S. $5.00. You
>can sometimes find them for free after rebate.
>
>The RealPlayer software that comes with the T|E will transfer MP3 files
>efficiently without a card reader directly to the T|E via the sync cable. I
>think the latest Windows Media Plyer will also do this if you install the
>necessary plug-ins.
>
>The advantage of using OGG over MP3 is that the sound quality is better for
>the same file size as in MP3. This translates to making smaller files that
>sound better, which translates to getting about 33% more music on you card
>with OGG than with MP3, and it sounds better.
>
>HTH

Got a Lexar 1Gb SD card at Fry's this weekend for US$80 with a US$30
mail in rebate.

HawkMan98
!