Sign in with
Your question

Problem with Athlon 3700 performance

Last response: in CPUs
August 13, 2008 11:27:40 PM

I need help with this one guys. I almonst know the answer, but I'm wondering what everyone thinks:

My computer is almost always running above 50% usage. This happened very suddenly. I've never had this problem. I just logged on to get my MMO fix and found everything VERY jumpy. This is not normal. I go to my windows task manager and notice that my cpu usage is running in the 75-100% range! Definitely not normal for my computer. I closed everything and kept an eye on my cpu usage. I can't even open a folder on my desktop without spiking above 60%. In fact, according to my nvidia control panel, my hard disk usage is being consumed upon doing the most mundane tasks as well! This would lead my to believe that maybe my cpu isn't carrying the load it should. My comp is never over 30-50% even when playing online games.

These are the things I have done:

I have defraged
I have minimized the number of programs running in the system that aren't needed
I have done a virus scan...nothing
My temps are fine on everything(~25c on cpu)
I've cleaned the dust from my heat sink and fans around the cpu

Is there something I can do? I'd like any suggestions. If I'm missing something fundemental don't be afraid to whack me with the noob stick...I need answers. Or are my fears probably a reality? This is an older cpu(Athlon 3700 socket 939)...is it time to let it die?
August 14, 2008 10:16:59 AM

NOWAI !! Clawhammers take time to die.

Check Task Manager and see whats eating computer cycles. Might be a dozen things.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2008 10:41:43 AM

No your CPU is fine if temps are fine.

You've likely caught a bug. Virus scanners don't all catch the same things and sometimes they miss things for weeks until the catch up. You should try other virus scanners. AVG, AVAST, etc.

After this run HiJack This and Adaware.

Download a trial registry cleaner like system mechanic and run it.

If none of that worked, then:

Back up files and reformat, then install XP fresh.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2008 10:42:36 AM

sumtimes virus r not detected by antivirus......

anyway...go to task manager and then to progress tab.
there u sort the list according to usage (should be the third colum labelled "cpu")
find out which program is taking up ur cpu and remove it if its unwanted.....
i had this problem wit my laptop once......no virus scanner could help....but it was a virus.....i used to remove it every time i started windows
August 14, 2008 12:57:25 PM

sarwar_r87 said:
sumtimes virus r not detected by antivirus......

anyway...go to task manager and then to progress tab.
there u sort the list according to usage (should be the third colum labelled "cpu")
find out which program is taking up ur cpu and remove it if its unwanted.....
i had this problem wit my laptop once......no virus scanner could help....but it was a virus.....i used to remove it every time i started windows

Yeah, I've sorted by usage several times thinking I've missed something. However, nothing is taking up any more than it ever has....weird. Everything seems to be somewhat familiar....there are so many tasks running. The largest tasks running when I'm only surfing the net are, of course, the iexplorer and all of the McAfee stuff...
August 14, 2008 2:35:20 PM

Proximon said:
No your CPU is fine if temps are fine.

You've likely caught a bug. Virus scanners don't all catch the same things and sometimes they miss things for weeks until the catch up. You should try other virus scanners. AVG, AVAST, etc.

After this run HiJack This and Adaware.

Download a trial registry cleaner like system mechanic and run it.

If none of that worked, then:

Back up files and reformat, then install XP fresh.

A friend had mentioned downloading AVG and Adaware. I'll try a few more virus scans and such. I'll let you guys know what the result is.

I had also thought about a registry cleaner...just doesn't seem like a registry problem would create such an extreme problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try one.
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2008 5:28:21 AM

Sometimes your core OS files can get corrupted and cause this as well.
!