P5Q-E vs P5Q-Pro

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
For the price i would go with the -E gives you better sound, another PCI-e16x slot (4x electronic) more copper cooling, couriously it supports 16gb? whereas the Pro is only 8gb.

The other weird one there is more capacitors around the CPU socket on the -E? better power stability?

Hey chookman long time no see :)

Yeah go for ASUS P5Q-E,chookman is right about the reasons he said.
P5Q series are like their P5K brothers,i mean that in P5K series,P5K-E was the beast bang for buck and now in P5Q series,the P5Q-E is the best bang for buck :)

The P45 chipset has had some difficulties delivering the 16Gb promised, I think. Don't take that as a fact, but it's my impression. P5Q Pro originally said 16Gb as the max. Regardless, the -E is the better board for sure. You also get eSATA and an extra ethernet port.

If you are just upgrading because of heat, I would sure look at your cooling solutions first though.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
The 16gb thing comes from the support for meta memory (8gb DDR2 modules) and that should not be a problem since we mere mortals do not have access to it.

doctor lo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I was looking exactly at those exact mobo's for a new build.

I'm building a new gaming rig, and I dont want to spend too much money on it. The components im thinking about (so you guys have an idea of what im thinking about) are q6600, 4gb DDR2 800, ATI 4870, Corsair650TX, WD6400AKKS... and one of these motherboards. The price difference between this 2 mobo's in Spain where I live is 20€.... Is it worth it for a build like mine ?

For example better sound could be worth it.. had no idea about that difference. Do you know what exactly consists on ?

So... the heating solution isnt really that different between the 2 boards ? Cos that was initially the reason I took a look at the P5Q-E !!!

Doctor Lo, are you planning to overclock? If so, the -E is the best choice.

If you just need a budget board that will only have one video card, then the P43 version of the -E is less money and a great choice... I think it's called P5QL -E.

doctor lo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

Thanks Proximon.

Why is it better for overclock ? because of the cooling.. or because of smthg else ?
I´ve never overclocked... but I was thinking I could do some mild OCing with this new build. I think I wanna leave that possibility open.

And I also understood that that board wouldnt be as good if I plan to add a second 4870 in the future for example.. (i wasnt really planning to.. but if in the future adding a second card turns out to be the best performance/price upgrade I also want to leave that door open).

Shaddox

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks for the OP for making this thread so I didn't have to make a clone.

I've been been looking at these two boards as well and I've been trying to figure out which one would be better. I don't plan on OCing or utilizing crossfire and whatnot but I'd like the option to in the future. I plan on putting a E8500 in one of these boards but when it comes to quads how's the support look like from the board?

The P45 chipset supports quads fine. However, it's quite possible that the P5Q pro is not a good overclocker with quads. I have read one or two reviews that stated that.

The P5Q-E has slightly better cooling, more ports, apparently a beefier BIOS with more overclocking options, and some have said a better sound chip.

I had issues with the Marvel LAN controller to start, but Marvel seems to have addressed this well, independently of ASUS. At least with Vista 64.

doctor lo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Thanks again Proximon. I'll keep that in mind... and I'll probably go for the -E, considering the price difference wherever I finally buy the board.

Why does it always seem to be worth it spending the extra cash ?! I'll end up spending 200$ extra in my build :p

stevebiko

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I picked up the P5Q Pro and its rock stable for me at 3.2Ghz 355FSBx9 @ 1.4v (Q6600)

There wasn’t much room for the HSF to get in which wasn’t too hard, but getting it out was really tough because of the NB hs placement. All in all Im happy with this board, the BIOS has more than enough settings for me personally.

Just my 2 cents.

I did have one problem with the onboard NIC though, it seemed to have died and locked up when i was downloading a ton of stuff. Couldn’t resent it through CMD, i had reboot. Only happened once though in 14 days.