ChocolateBear

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to ask the community here for some advice. I have been doing a lot of research in regards to building a new computer. Anyways, I just wanted to ask a few questions. Keep in mind that the new computer will be basically used for gaming, running multiple programs at once, and overall I will be pushing its limits.

First off, I am thinking of going with the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz. I think its a very good CPU from what I've read and just wanted to hear what some other people, who may have more knowledge than me, think of it.
Even without overclocking it, would it be a good stable and fast CPU?

Secondly, for my GPU, I've done a lot of comparing and I still am not sure what to do.
I had been convinced with going with the Sapphire HD3870X2 1GB but than the HD 4850 came out.
I know the 3870x2 has been a favorite of many people and I rather think its a really good card but does have some shortcomings compared to the 4850. Overall, what do you guys think?

For now this is all that im really stuck on and I would appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks in advance!

ChocolateBear

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks pcgamer12 for the comment.

I think the 4850x2 and 4870x2 will come out in Aug...but will probably be pretty expensive. However, it would definitely drop the price of the 3870x2 as on newegg that has been happening. Would it not be worth still getting the 3870x2? Or will they really be left behind with the 4000 series? The biggest thing i can see would be the advantage in stream processing and PCI E 2.0 x16, even though the 3870x2 are equivalent to a PCI E 2.0 8x.

I guess maybe I should wait and see, not sure.

On a Side note, what motherboard do you guys recommend for such a system?

If you're looking to crossfire ATI cards in the future, then go with the X38/X48 motherboard. Single card solution or a future 4870X2 then a P45 is great. DDR2 RAM is by far the best deal going right now. I'd definately go with a 750w PSU if there's any chance you'll be CF in the future. PC power and cooling silencer or the Corsair 750.

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
I love my Q9450, so that's a great choice. Easy OC to 3.2GHz and idles at 1C over ambient and under full load only barely touches 15C over ambient. It's ice cold and blazing fast.

Personally, I'd go with the P45 + 4800 series card at this point. At least wait for a couple of days and read through the reviews of those cards. The Anandtech review is already out, though it needs some re-touching, the graphs are all there and you can see that the 4870 is a great buy - it consistently performs on par with or flat-out stomps the 3870x2. And at a lower price and power consumption, it's a no-brainer!

Don't forget to take into consideration the resolution of your monitor(s) when deciding which graphics solution best fits your needs... there's no sense in spending twice as much on a dual card solution when a single card will handle your resolution on all the games you're interested in. That money could go toward a new gen card in about 10 months.

ChocolateBear

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I appreciate your advice zipz0p.

I will go take a better look at the 4000 series and the motherboards mentioned here.

Thank you everyone.