Does updating your video card help with grainy dvd playback?

Bought a new monitor Samsung 2253LW 21.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor. I bought it because it had great reviews for picture quality but dvd's look pretty grainy. Right now I have a radeon 8500 4x agp. Will updating my card improve picture dvd quality?
4 answers Last reply
More about does updating video card grainy playback
  1. Did you make sure to change your resolution to the recommended resolution? (most likely 1680x1050)
  2. No! That graniness is on 99% of the lcd monitors. CRT never had a problem but lcd apparantly lacks some kind of filter. Only select s-ips panel monitors work correctly. I believe theres about 3 or 4 dif models. But those also cost a fortune.
  3. Try watching it in non full screen mode at its default size--- I'm guessing you went with a bigger monitor and probably a higher resolution. Sorta like watching standard tv show on a hi - def set.

Not that this helps any, but it is common mistake to make.
  4. silver2442 said:
    Bought a new monitor Samsung 2253LW 21.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor. I bought it because it had great reviews for picture quality but dvd's look pretty grainy. Right now I have a radeon 8500 4x agp. Will updating my card improve picture dvd quality?

Regular DVD will pretty much always look terrible on an LCD monitor. The reason for this is that a standard definition DVD has a resolution of 720x480 and all LCD have a resolution of at least 1024x768, and in the case of your 21.6" monitor, the native resolution is even higher. As a result, when you watch the DVD in full screen the image is stretched to fit and you are likely seeing each pixel of the video represented by 2 or more physical pixels on the screen. That is why the pictures look grainy.

Unfortunately the only ways to get rid of the graininess are to get a higher resolution source (Bluray), get a smaller monitor, or get a CRT for your movie watching. My suggestion however would be to just sit a couple of feet further away from the monitor and you won't be able to tell the difference.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards DVD LCD Monitor Graphics