Sign in with
Your question

Can you fry a CPU this fast without thermal paste/fan?

Last response: in CPUs
August 14, 2008 12:42:41 AM

Hey, sorry to make my first post on here a 'help' sort of question. Anyway - I installed an Intel C2D 7200 (2.53Ghz) in my PC yesterday and I'm almost positive I've killed it already. This was my first time to add a CPU (both to this mobo and in general), so I thought I had placed the heatsink/fan on properly when I heard the stock fan's stupid little pin legs 'snap' into place. I thought it was kind of funny that it could still be moved up and down, and that the thermal paste wasn't touching the CPU itself, but I figured I just didn't know anything so whatever.

Well, after playing on it for a few hours (practically beat Portal...tried an hour or so of Bioshock and Call of Duty 4...so it was probably under pretty decent stress since all settings were maxed), I noticed it was having an increasingly hard time doing simple things like chatting on AIM or opening a RAR file. After I got frustrated with not knowing why my fan wasn't attaching properly/acting up (It kept reading the CPU was at 100%, which I had assumed during certain times it was saying that, that there should be no way that was possible...and anyway, up until now I actually thought it was part of all the complaining people have done about Intel's weird push pins) I completely took apart my computer and checked the mobo to see what was going on that could be blocking it. Turns out there was a huge metal plate on the back of my mobo, I'm guessing from Dell's installation of the old Centrino it had on it (started its life as a budget as hell Vostro)...anyway, that was what was blocking the legs from being able to get inserted all the way. I took that off and now I'm able to actually get the heatsink to reach the CPU...but it absolutely is having a horrible time loading now. 1 in maybe 10 boots will actually get to my desktop...and the rest just have it loading forever on the Windows XP start screen. On occasion it goes to a BSOD. I noticed when I checked the comp's info it was showing the C2D in it, and it said it was 2.53Ghz and all...but by its listing of the L2 Cache it said 0, instead of the 3mb or however much it's supposed to have. Is that a sign that my CPU is messed up now? Could I have done irreversible damage in that short of a time?
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2008 1:10:34 AM

It only shut down once due to overheating? If that's the case, I would be surprised if you killed it. Intel chips will shut down before heat kills them, as a built in defense mechanism. Now I wouldn't make a habit of it, but I think your ok, lol.

Try resetting your cmos, by taking out the battery and shorting the jumper.

When a system crashes like that, you can screw your bios up (much like a failed or over aggressive, poorly configured overclock), and that seems to be the case here. Try resetting the cmos, and default settings in your bios, along with the ram voltage and divider, if any.

Good luck
August 14, 2008 3:59:23 AM

Wow, thanks for the advice, I'll try that. Hopefully you're right.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2008 4:39:04 AM

I remember old vids of athlon xp vs. pentium 4. they would have them run quake III demo and pop the heatsink off midway through. The athlons would burn up while the p4 could finish the demo but at a dirt slow pace.
August 14, 2008 5:18:43 AM

It probably just crashed and corrupted windows. Try a reinstall.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2008 6:13:49 AM

ALWAYS install a HS by removing the mobo from the case, always......

You can't be sure the pins are locked unless you look at the bottom of the Mobo.

And the CPU might be okay. Open it up, pull the Mobo and inspect the pins on the bottom. It's not rocket science, you can tell if it's locked in or not.
August 14, 2008 7:32:57 AM

Well, I know that now man. Lesson learned. Anyhow - comp is still getting stuck on the XP loading screen. The only other thing that I think I might have done wrong is in the application of the thermal paste. Is that something that could flat out keep it from loading XP like this, or is that not possible?
August 14, 2008 10:53:29 AM

megaten said:
Well, I know that now man. Lesson learned. Anyhow - comp is still getting stuck on the XP loading screen. The only other thing that I think I might have done wrong is in the application of the thermal paste. Is that something that could flat out keep it from loading XP like this, or is that not possible?

It is possible, and quite logical XP got corrupted in case of over heating. And everything else that passed through the CPU as well. While heating the CPU was spewing corrupted data and that data is being written in the HDD.

I had a colleague of mine (administrative worker) that all his PDFs and ODFs came corrupted. I check his work PC found out a little clawhammer as passsing the 75º on idle. After cleaning his PC ( and removing the tons of papers around his box, that were preventing airflow) situation solved.
August 14, 2008 7:38:40 PM

I'll check to see if that's the case - I'll try my old CPU back in the case and see if it'll boot through, and I'll try the culprit CPU in another PC as well to see what the results are.

EDIT: Yep, by simply putting my old CPU in, the computer boots up like a charm, so I doubt it's XP. Oh well, so is that just 120 bucks down the drain? Figure my stupidity isn't covered under NewEgg's or Intel's warranties eh?
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2008 7:57:52 PM

I'm surprised, that sucks man
August 14, 2008 8:27:32 PM

your CPU fan/ heatsink should allways be tight against the heat sink of your CPU!!

you should only need a small amount of thermal paste!

use arctic silver or zalmans thermal grease instead of the standard stuff attached to the bottom of the heatsink!

March 22, 2014 8:04:55 PM

can't really fry a CPU anymore especially with all the heat sensors incorporated into them.
!