Sign in with
Your question

P6T Deluxe V2, Noctua U12P & Core i7 920 temperatures

Last response: in Overclocking
June 14, 2009 8:18:14 PM

Has anyone got the combination listed above? If so, what temperatures are you getting at load? ...and what speed is your CPU running at? Currently I'm at 3.6 GHz (18 x 200, CPU Voltage 1.25 & QPI/DRAM is 1.23750) and with a maximum load in LinX (100 passes) I get ~82C. Room temperature is about 80F.

This seems high to me. I've re-seated the heatsink several times with different methods of applying the Noctua NT-H1 compound, hardly a huge difference in temperatures. I'm hoping someone else has similar hardware so I can start to find out where I'm going wrong with having higher than average temperatures.

FYI, I can't reduce my CPU Voltage below 1.25, the BIOS stops me.

Thanks.
June 14, 2009 10:11:08 PM

Alright, here is the really strange situation, I now overclocked the CPU to 3.8 GHz (19 x 200) just to see what maximum temperature I would get, I ended up with a maximum of 83C! In other words only one degree more than my temperature at 3.6 GHz. Room temperature is now 82F.

I'd be interested to hear from other users with a Noctua U12P heatsink to see what results you are getting. Right now in order to reduce temperatures I'm considering changing heatsink to a Thermalright 120 eXtreme 1366, and putting in even faster fans than the Scythe SFF21Gs that I have.
June 15, 2009 7:05:50 AM

i'm running a simliliar set up except i'm using water cooling (brand escapes me right now and it's late and i'm tired) i OC'd to 3.6 and my max is at 66C.

problems you might be having are

-Bad case ventilation (design)

-your heatsink might be the main problem, i found this on newegg
Fans are only rated at 1300 RPM/54 CFM. If you want to get a quad core CPU to 4 ghz, get some high CFM fans.

EDIT- i know you're not going to 4ghz but it looks like from the comments that it doesn't lay flat which might reduce effectiveness. Getting a better one could help out , although the one you have doesn't seem too shabby which leads me to your room temp and case design being the problem

-whats your room temp at, this could also not be helping

-Case away from anything that could block fans

Not trying to insult your intelligence, just things that i personally
have overlooked before.

What case are you using btw
Related resources
June 15, 2009 1:54:27 PM

I have the same setting then you, you didn't mention if you used push-pull setup in your heatsink, cpu is 3.86 76-77 C. after 10 hours of prime 95, room temp 28-29

I lap the heatsink on the cpu too get god contact and I used the thermal grease from noctua.
June 15, 2009 3:49:34 PM

The fan I'm using is a Scythe SFF21G, it's rated at 75 CFM, I'm not using the Noctua fan at all, and it's in a single push operation. I tried push/pull, there's almost no difference at all.

I found the reason I couldn't reduce the CPU Voltage below 1.25. There was a jumper on the motherboard which prevents CPU Voltage overvolting, mine was in the position to allow greater than 1.70 volts, not the default, the board had the jumper in this position from new because I never changed it at all. I moved the jumper to the default position and I can now set 1.20 in the BIOS.

Now I did that, I'm at 1.20 stable, maximum temperature last night, at 83F ambient, was 75C in LinX 100 passes. This morning, ambient is 76F, and running 100 passes of LinX gives me a maximum of 71C, much better. I'm going to try and reduce the volts more.

I'm going to also install 120x120x38 Panaflos, the Northbridge (if it's called that anymore) area is hot, I need more air blowing over that area.

Thanks for your help.
!