Help! "unmountable boot blah blah blah"

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
My homemade PC, a AMD Phenom Quad Core CPU, 2 -80 Gig WD SATA HD's, Gigabyte MD. Thermal Take Typhoon cooler, 2 gigs of RAM, has given me the Win XP "blue screen of death" The machine just froze on the web page that I was on and debooted. And the the blue screen appeared with the cryptic message "unmountable boot sector". I found a web site that suggested loading the Win XP disc ( The Win XP disc that I used was a Dell.) and rebooted the beast. I then attempted the suggested command, CHKDSK/R. No joy. The message was "that command is not supported". But I did see a command that looked appropriate, just "R". I did that from the "C" prompt. The system asked "repair boot sector of drive "D"?, and I assuming that the CD drive was now "C" and the my "C" HD was now "D", I said yes, and pushed enter. The system said the boot sector had been repaired and so I rebooted. Same bloody blue screen. What I want to know is my "C" drive fixable w/o reformatting?

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I've given up on the Win XP repair. Each time that I perfromed the operation, the DOS message said that the "Volume" had been repaired, but upon rebooting, the same "blue screen of death" appeared. I attempted it at least 6 times, and now I'm in the data recovery mode, prior to re-formatting the "C" drive. Thnks anyway.

engrbill47

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I've given up on the Win XP repair. Each time that I performed the operation, the DOS message said that the "Volume" had been repaired, but upon rebooting, the same "blue screen of death" appeared. I attempted it at least 6 times, and now I'm in the data recovery mode, prior to re-formatting the "C" drive. Thanks anyway.