Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GA-P35-DS3L "Bios auto-recovering from HD" boot error/No POST problems

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 9, 2008 10:51:14 AM

So my system has been running solid for well over a year now. Minor changes/upgrades have happened, IE the E8400. Stats, before I get into this:

Corsair HX620W modular PS
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MoBo
Intel E8400 C2D proc
PNY nVidia 8800 GTX
4X Crucial Ballistix DDR2 RAM
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
WD 150G Raptor
WD 320G Caviar SATA
2X SATA DVD Burners
Quite a few USB devices (6 or so), but no High-Draw ones like external HD's

So, I recently installed Vista 64 Business without issue maybe a week ago. Been running that just fine. I go to start it up today, and it shuts down after a few seconds, restarts, and rinse/repeat. Eventually my monitor catches up, and its saying some message that I couldn't catch fast enough, about getting something for the BIOS off my hard drive. Eventually it just stops, restarts. I should mention, I NEVER saw the usual BIOS POST, it just went straight to this message. It does this a few times, before it finally just gives up, and starts beeping continuously at power up. Now, whether its short or long beeps Im not 100% sure, but it seemed to be long beeps to me. If you look that up for my MoBo, it says thats a Video Card issue. I tested it out on a friends computer, and the video card is fine. The ONLY other continuous beeping error (short beeps), is a power supply error (IE, its on its way out). So thats where I stand right now - Im not quite sure how to test and see if its my PS, but I'd find that somewhat unlikely. Judging by the totally random BIOS thing on bootup (which Ive never seen before), could my MoBo have gone kaput? Any insight is appreciated! Thanks!

*EDIT*
After doing some more searching, I found my exact error in another thread. However, my system was NOT overclocked at time time, nor did it spontaneously start crashing in Vista before this happened.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249421-30-possible-re...
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2008 12:07:50 PM

Clear CMOS. Then if it fails....

Download the latest (F8) BIOS on to a USB drive formated in FAT32. Plug in USB drive. Remove HDD. Put software driver DVD in drive and press F8.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 9, 2008 12:22:58 PM

CMOS has been cleared, sorry - I should have posted my troubleshooting updates here.

CMOS was cleared, all items removed from the mobo minus minimum required (single RAM stick in multiple slots, video card was tested in another comp and confirmed working, etc etc).

Cant download the BIOS if the BIOS wont post, however, shadow :) . No output occurs from the video card at all, it just posts continuous long beeps. Acts like the video card isnt even in, but I know it works 100%.
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2008 12:44:27 PM

Strip the motherboard down to the essential and see if it still does that.
Otherwise remove the motherboard put it on a picece of cardboard with only the processor and power supply. Look for beeps. Add memory, look for beeps. Add video card, look for beeps and video.
I had a sound card that was incompatible with my motherboard and it would continously reboot.
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2008 12:52:08 PM

Could be a virus.
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2008 1:06:24 PM

MightyBobo said:


Cant download the BIOS if the BIOS wont post, however, shadow :) . No output occurs from the video card at all, it just posts continuous long beeps. Acts like the video card isnt even in, but I know it works 100%.

Ahhh... don't you have a second PC? Have you tried re-seating the RAM?
September 9, 2008 1:07:06 PM

Commonly this means your BIOS got corrupted, so you would need to reflash your BIOS.

But sometimes this also happens when you have a faulty RAM. It's because the BIOS checksum still does depend on RAM for processing, if you have faulty or a RAM that is inserted incorrectly, it could also cause the BIOS auto recover.
September 9, 2008 1:43:53 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Ahhh... don't you have a second PC? Have you tried re-seating the RAM?


Yes, I do - however, its an older-style setup. AGP mobo, DDR1 RAM, and its running Fedora 9 - cant really use it as a testbed for much, other than my Power supply really. Thanks for asking, though.

Yes, Ive also tried re-seating the RAM - no joy there, either.
September 9, 2008 1:44:57 PM

I have same board.Have not encountered your prob - yet! But did a bit of investigation. Found following on a gigabyte site regarding 'Express Bios recovery' - as you appear to have a duff primary bios and your backup is not being found/is corrupt on hdd you might try as it states 'putting in your motherboard driver CD as it has a copy on there it will search for if HDD version no good/nor present. Obviously i have not tested this out.But definitely worth a go. This is part of article :-

Situation : Primary BIOS is corrupted, backup BIOS is corrupted but capable of booting from boot block. No matched BIOS are found in the HDD hidden partition

  START
Power On
(BOOT UP)
(1) Primary BIOS Failed to boot
(2) System reset & backup BIOS activated
(3) Backup BIOS also corrupted

(4) Continue to boot from boot block and System search for "Saved" BIOS
image in HDD hidden partition
(5) If no matched BIOS be founded in HDD hidden partition, BIOS continue to search for CD-ROM
(6) If matched BIOS image found in CD-ROM drive, that image will be programmed to
the still running backup BIOS image
(7) system reset will be issue continue to boot BOOT UP
Completed
There is a valid mass production BIOS in the GA-965P-DQ6 driver CD.
 FINISH

Hope this is of help. If it does work (or not) it would be nice to know - should i have to ever go down this road.
September 9, 2008 3:16:35 PM

bf2142-rules-ok said:
I have same board.Have not encountered your prob - yet! But did a bit of investigation. Found following on a gigabyte site regarding 'Express Bios recovery' - as you appear to have a duff primary bios and your backup is not being found/is corrupt on hdd you might try as it states 'putting in your motherboard driver CD as it has a copy on there it will search for if HDD version no good/nor present. Obviously i have not tested this out.But definitely worth a go. This is part of article :-

Situation : Primary BIOS is corrupted, backup BIOS is corrupted but capable of booting from boot block. No matched BIOS are found in the HDD hidden partition

  START
Power On
(BOOT UP)
(1) Primary BIOS Failed to boot
(2) System reset & backup BIOS activated
(3) Backup BIOS also corrupted

(4) Continue to boot from boot block and System search for "Saved" BIOS
image in HDD hidden partition
(5) If no matched BIOS be founded in HDD hidden partition, BIOS continue to search for CD-ROM
(6) If matched BIOS image found in CD-ROM drive, that image will be programmed to
the still running backup BIOS image
(7) system reset will be issue continue to boot BOOT UP
Completed
There is a valid mass production BIOS in the GA-965P-DQ6 driver CD.
 FINISH

Hope this is of help. If it does work (or not) it would be nice to know - should i have to ever go down this road.


Sadly, when I try to boot up now it IMMEDIATELY starts beeping - theres no indication of any drive access at all. But, for prosperity's sake, I will give it a shot when I get home.
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2008 12:22:52 AM

MightyBobo said:
Yes, I do - however, its an older-style setup. AGP mobo, DDR1 RAM, and its running Fedora 9 - cant really use it as a testbed for much, other than my Power supply really. Thanks for asking, though.

Yes, Ive also tried re-seating the RAM - no joy there, either.

You do have a 2nd PC so why can't you go online and download the BIOS at the Gigabyte website and put it on USB?
!