Using a 1333mhz CPU on 1066 MB?

harveer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
Hey everyone, please help, i have been stuck with this problem for about a year now loll, i have an MSI 975x Power up Ed, max FSB is 1066, but the CPU, Intel core2duo E6550, is 1333mhz. When i installed it obviously it didn’t boot. I hear about people using 1333mhz CPU with this motherboard. So i ask for help from anyone please because i really feel gutted that there is such an excellent CPU but can’t use it, and now i am using a celeron D processor. So if anyone can help i would be really really grateful, cheers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Try updating BIOS. If that doesn't work, you might need a 1066 MHz FSB processor.

harveer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
the updated bios says it still wont be compatable, but if i overclock the motherboard then put the new cpu init, will it work?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You update BIOS and find out if it works. The board can be forced to FSB-1333 quite easily, but that only helps if the system boots. So update the BIOS!

JackNSally

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

Yeah, update the bios. That part is free. After that try installing the processor. If it boots up then go into the bios and "overclock" it to the 1333 FSB.

harveer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
cheers for the guys, doing abit mor research n this subject, if i was to run the computer with the celeron, then goin into bios, increase the fsb from i think 266 to 333, then swap the cpus, you guys reckon it will work or will it auto revert to 266? also will the new cpu be runing at 1066 or 1333? cheers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It has nothing to do with the bus speed it's set at. The processor will work at FSB-533 (133MHz), FSB-800 (200MHz), FSB-1333 (333MHz), etc. It will even work at odd bus speeds in between. You can set it anywhere you want and it won't make a difference in whether or not it boots.

It's all about BIOS programming. If the did it wrong, your CPU will be detected as incompatible and the system will refuse to POST. If they did it right, your CPU will be detected as incompatible but your system will POST. All you can do is update BIOS and try it.

I thought you already had the CPU. If you don't have the CPU, why waste our time?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Ah, to put it more gently, if someone doesn't own an FSB-1333 processor they can instead choose an FSB-1066 processor of similar price for their FSB-1066 motherboard.

harveer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
at the moment i have both cpus, i initially bought the 1333 cpu thinking it will work with the MB, so then i bought a celeron cpu to see if there was anything wrong with the mb.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

So why didn't you update the BIOS and see if it would POST, rather than working "in theory"?

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
*sigh* he's like one of those people that cheap out on psu's to find out that it either dies and takes half their system with it, or can't even juice it up through POST.

harveer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
look computabug, i didn’t cheap out on anything, at the time i bought the most expensive components out, that’s why i want to get this to work, if ur going to be unhelpful don’t respond.
crashman, the reason why i am working in theory is coz i don’t want to keep swapping the cpus around. cheers

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

There is only one thing you can do: Update BIOS and see if it works. That's only one swap. If it does POST, you can set the FSB as required to 333 MHz (FSB-1333 is 333MHz). If it doesn't POST, there's nothing you can do to fix it.

CPU support has nothing to do with the speed of the front side bus, CPU support is chipset specific.

Find out what chipset your mobo has and do some research at the chipset and mobo makers website to determine if a 1333fsb cpu will work.

Yes, it's that easy!!!!!!

noobs...