Sign in with
Your question

Wirless G or N?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 27, 2009 1:13:18 AM

My family and me combined have 3 computers. My newest one is wireless N compatible the other two are g compatible my current router is a G router. I am trying to decide if it is worth getting N. We are often using all three computers and playing online with a PS3. The PS3 lags when we do this. Would getting a N adapter improve the internet quality even for things that cannot use N. Also our current router does not give us very good signal strength, so would getting wireless N improve the range on not only on the N device, but also on the other computers?

Also I need a router that has a USB port so I can attach my printer and print over the network.
Could you suggest routers that would do all that I want it to.

More about : wirless

July 27, 2009 4:29:01 PM

kyleplum2009 said:
My family and me combined have 3 computers. My newest one is wireless N compatible the other two are g compatible my current router is a G router. I am trying to decide if it is worth getting N. We are often using all three computers and playing online with a PS3. The PS3 lags when we do this. Would getting a N adapter improve the internet quality even for things that cannot use N. Also our current router does not give us very good signal strength, so would getting wireless N improve the range on not only on the N device, but also on the other computers?

Also I need a router that has a USB port so I can attach my printer and print over the network.
Could you suggest routers that would do all that I want it to.

Okay Wireless N is the newest wireless and is the fastest available. It usually gets better signal because it has less interference, and can travel farther.
But if a device is NOT wireless N compatible, it wont pick it up at all, it well have NO internet so you would have to get a new card for it that is wireless N compatible or stick with G. Also some routers have the ability to broadcast on N and G in that case your newest one well run at the faster N speed and the other 2 would be running on wireless G.

For the printer, i do believe if you can print over the network it should have a ethernet port on the back of it to connect a ethernet cable but im not exactly sure.
July 27, 2009 4:31:14 PM

I meant getting a backwards compatible router.
Related resources
July 27, 2009 4:45:17 PM

kyleplum2009 said:
I meant getting a backwards compatible router.

Well then yes it would increase your internet quality for everything using the N broadcasting. Things still using the G wont notice as many effects.
However most N routers are high end, therefor broadcast much stronger and well give you much more signal. Basically the more you pay the stronger the signal and speed well be.

July 27, 2009 4:47:20 PM

OK that was the answer I was looking for. I am looking for strong range so I am going to get a high end router.
July 27, 2009 4:58:17 PM

I recommend Mikrotik routerboard using routeros or some Ubiquity device (e.g: bullet M).
July 29, 2009 11:51:26 PM

Is the apple wireless N router a good router? It seems to be a nice one but my computers are PCs.
August 1, 2009 4:41:40 AM

The apple routers seem good, I'm actually mac certified and the ones we use at work seem to do well. As far as a G device not picking up on an N router, don't know if I've heard of that. If they are certified as 802.11g, etc. I'm pretty certain they are designed to be backwards compatible. Keep in mind however, a G card may work on your N router, it's not that you will not get any signal, but your devices will work at the slower G speed.
!