Cooler master V8 question

brightfutureahead

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Hello there to everyone, again. I have been receiving a lot of great help from everyone on these forums. The knowledge here is amazing. I need to purchase a CPU cooler, and so I was looking at this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055

my components are:

core i7
500 GB hard drive from hitachi
antec 900 case
ASUS P6T SE motherboard
6 GB Corsair 1333
Corsair 750 psu

I was just looking for some thoughts on whether or not this was worth it. Also, I hear a lot about thermal paste, I have no clue what it is, and am having trouble finding information on it and it's use that I understand, if someone can break it down into laymen terms for me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you to everyone here.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
V8 is one of those ready to use CPU cooler, that can handle a quad core CPU. It should be fine with your setup.

Thermal paste is a thermal conductive material, that sits between your CPU heatspreader and the base of your heatsink. It works by filling in gaps, between the two metal surfaces, which otherwise without thermal paste would just be air pockets. Air is not thermally conductive.

Popular brands: Artic Silver5, OCZ Freeze, and Shin-Etsu, look these up and you'll find reviews and application methods.

brightfutureahead

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Thank flyin, I appreciate it. I have actually been reading about paste in the last few hours, and have answered my own question thoroughly. It is just nice to have someone on the other end actually responding about it, rather than reading old articles on the internet.